Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Hello, I have a oil pressure concern with a C13 motor. This…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a oil...
Hello, I have a oil pressure concern with a C13 motor. This motor is a 2005 motor installed in a MCI motorcoach. This past April we replaced the main and rod bearings because the oil pressure was running around 20lbs while running down the road. The bearing surfaces were just showing a little wear and the CAT service/mechanic said they were ok. New bearings helped the oil pressure reading 25-30lbs at highway speeds. Now 42,725 miles later the oil pressure is just over 20lbs at highway speeds and 10lbs at idle. Beyond checking with mechanical gauge what can we look for?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
10/23/2012
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi Scott. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

There have been some oil pressure issues with the C13 engine. There are 2 things that have caused these low oil pressure issues.

The first and most common is the relief valve in the oil filter base. Basically the relief valve over time becomes worn and will stick open. When this happens, the oil pressure will go down. In order to repair the issue, the oil filter base and valve will need to be replaced. Basically the normal operation of the valve will cause wear on the valve and the housing.

The second and not so common cause is the relief valve in the oil pump is sticking open. When this happens, the oil pressure will be lower than it should be.

I would have this looked into as soon as possible. The oil pressure on your engine will only continue to go down. Eventually you may have engine damage. Sorry, I wish I had better news. This problem has been going on with C13 engines for several years.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.

Hey Scott. I just wanted to see how things were going. I hope you get back to this question. I want you to have your oil pressure issue looked into before anything bad happens;