Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Hello I have a Cat C-9 ESN. C9S01556 with a code 3473-31 and…

Hello I have a Cat...
Hello I have a Cat C-9 ESN. C9S01556 with a code 3473-31 and 3774-31 active I have check over the system and do not see any defects. I ran the transformer spark test. and check all filter fittings. I cound use a good code interp. Thanks Jim
9/11/2012
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Code 3473-31 is defined as a failure to ignite. This meas the ecm attempted to ignite a flame in the ARD housing and it failed. You either have a bad spark plug or bad ARD head. I always try a spark plug first.

Could you double check the 3774-31 code. It is not a code on the C9 list.

3474-31 sorry

I see. Thanks for the information.

3474-31 is defined as a loss of combustion. This means there was a flame but it went out when it was not suppose to several times.

It is common for a C9 to have these codes at the same time. I see them all the time.

This code is also normally caused by a faiiled spark plug or bad ARD head. I would try a spark plug first and attempt a regen. If it fails, I would replace the ARD head.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.

ok so engine off key on and engine cold Diff pressure 0.1 dpf temps cold this cold both codes are active. and will not clear. get engine warmed up and try to manual regen, and it fails do to active codes. how to get to run.

It sounds like the engine may have older software in it.

Could you get me the personality module number? It is 7 digits long.

aug 11 /(NNN) NNN-NNNN00 / code 136

Thanks for the information.

There is later software but you should not need it. Your is late enough.
,
The codes should reset. When they don't I normally find the system lockout code 3715-31. This code requires cat factory passwords to clear and allow the other codes to be reset.

Are thise the only codes you have? Make sure to look under event codes and critical events. I just refreshed my memory looking over my notes. Once the engine comoletes a regen, these codes will be reset unless there is a lock out code 3715-31.

Should I road test for rolling regen scince i can not manual engauge?

I would not try a rolling regen. You can if you want to but the reason I say no is because normally if an engine will not do a stationary regen, it will not do a rolling regen. Stationary revens are easier to complete than rolling regens.

So basicly if i can not clear the codes it probly needs to go to cat because the system id locked and needs a factory password.

Yes. That may very well be the case. Sorry. I wish I had better news. If the system is locked out, they will use factory passwords to unlock it.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

I have a nother question for you on this unit. I pulled the ARD head and it had a lot of carbon build up. and the spark plug i installed last week was carboned up aswell. So I pulled the ARD head and cleaned it up and installed the plug. It looks like it has a huge air gap between the plug and the tang on the head. is there a spec for the air gap. Also when i try to force a parked regen with the dash mounted switch it goes through all the steps. engine speed ramps up fan comes on, I can view the ARD status it goes from pending to ingiting, the pilot fuel pressure jumps up to about 125 psi, the ARD fuel psi stays at 0.0 and then it jumps to purge. after the fuel is injected he unit smokes from the tail pipe and smells like fuel. ( Could the ARD HEAD fuel injector be bad causing a streem of fuel that dose not burn instead a mist? ) while driving I also ID the DPF diff psi got up to 1.8 psi dose that sound like a level 3 soot load?

Thanks Jim

Hi Leo. I have not ever seen a spec for the gap. I will do a little investigating and verify that. And yes. It sounds like a bad head. Whenever you have a lot of build up on the ARD head, it normally means the spray pattern is bad. 1.8 is high. That is a level three. Let me know if you have more questions.