Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

96 volvo with cat 3406E died. No fuel flow thru ecm. Would…

96 volvo with cat 3406E...
96 volvo with cat 3406E died. No fuel flow thru ecm. Would only turn over with either spray. Used shop peterbiult ecm ran in shop ok. Then grabbed and ecm from blown motor 98 Volvo with 3406E and swapped with original ecm. Truck started, ran for 5 minutes then shut down,Starts right back up and runs for five minutes more,and on and on. Almost seems like warm up mode but does it even when rpm's are raised or fluctuated.
Does ecm have to be flashed or just try another? The fuel line running thru the ecm, is this only for on/off sequence or fuel flow metering?
8/22/2012
Technician: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

If the engine starts and runs, the ECM does not need to be flashed.

The fuel that runs through the ECM is for cooling of the ECM. Thats is all. There is not any device in the ECM that shuts off the fuel.

When the engine runs for 5 miutes then shuts down, it is most likely becuase the Shutdown Idle time parameter is programmed to 5 minutes. This parameter can be change with Cat ET software so that it will not shut down.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.

Truck is stationary in shop, The rpms,s have been fluctuated during the period the truck runs for five minutes. It still shuts down. Does movement have to be detected in order to prevent shutdown.(the truck has not yet been roadtested) since original ecm failed. Also now show pressure sensor and boost sensor now bad.

Yes. Movement needs to be.detected. As long as there is 0 vehicle speed, the shutdown timer is counting. If the ecm detects 5 minutes with no vehicle speed, the engine will shutdown.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

Will the swapped ecm from the blown motor vehicle retain the check engine error codes? (oil pressure sensor,boost sensor) and can they be cleared or does it look like I now have new isssues with the check engine light and these sensors. Shop said they had person link with cat software but could not change parameters withourt original password. Would this prevent them from also clearing pre-existing fault codes from ecm?

Yes. The codes will remain in the ECM. If the check engine light is on, the codes cannot be cleared. They can only be cleared if they are inactive or logged.

It would only keep them from clearing the codes if they were codes for low oil pressure, high coolant temp, and low coolant level. IF the codes are only open or short circuits for oil pressure and boost pressure, they can be cleared without passwords.

I am not certain what you mean by" inactive" or "logged". The shop is now going to pull pressure sensor and boost sensor off old blown motor that ecm came off. Does that make sense? What can I have them do to get accurate reading off my motor. What is needed to clear ecm.Must they call back cat software guy?

No problem.

When a code is active, the fault is currently happening and the check engine light is on.

When a code is logged or inactive (same thing) the code is stored in the ECM but the fault is currently not happening. So we call it a logged code or an inactive code.

Yes that makes sense. The sensors should be the same. If the codes are still active after installing the sensors, you have either a harness problem, or an ECM problem.

The codes can only be cleared with Cat ET. Sorry. I wish there was another way.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert