Medium and Heavy Trucks

Have truck repair questions? Ask an Expert

Have a Mack Granit with an Allison Automatic. Stopped truck…

Customer Question
Have a Mack Granit with...
Have a Mack Granit with an Allison Automatic. Stopped truck after 8 hr of hauling, large puddle (maybe 1 qrt) under trans. Seems to be coming from dipstick tube. No problems with truck while working, temps stayed in normal range.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Medium and Heavy Trucks
7/22/2012
Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 10 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes I"m still waiting>
Technician: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 10 years ago
Danielle-Mod
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Technician: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 10 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Hi sorry about your wait time, that is not under my control. Wait to rate until all questions are answered that way they won't hit you with additional charges.Also when you rate only rate my answers not the issue you may have with website, because I won't get paid to help you if you give me a bad rating,thanks.
What it sounds like you have a bad transmission cooler.
When they start to leak they put antifreeze in your trans oil,so the transmission is full of antifreeze hope you caught it early enough to save trans.
Start by removing trans cooler and have it checked,you will see two heater hose going to it and two lines that go into trans about the same size as heater hoses.
Start draining transmission water should come out first so that way you will see how much is in there, also you will need to change all trans filters.Flush out all lines and change trans fluid until it is just oil, you also need to drain convertor.
Sitting overnight separates the oil and water so like I said it will come out first, but there are a lot of passages in trans that wont drain out that is why you have to do more then once.The longer it sits and drains the better off you are.
If you have any follow up questions you can come back to this link and I would be more then happy to help.{even after accepting answer you may come back they don't explain that to you when you signed up}Thanks spanky
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Thank you, glad I could help spanky