Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

About my antibody results. antibody positive and IGG

I am
Confused about my antibody results. I am IGM antibody positive and IGG antibody negative. I got a covid 19 test yesterday & I’m also negative for that. So does that mean I recently had covid 19? I never had any symptoms. Maybe diarrhea but that’s it. Please help me clarify

Hello, I am Dr. Ahmed MBBS FCPS and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Well IgM are positive on 7th day of infection.

IgG are positive on 21st day of infection.

the results shows, you had a recent COVID-19 infection. (please note 80% of people recover from COVID19 without showing any symptoms, there are the one who are below 50s and with strong immune,

So congrats, you are one of them. you should repeat the test after 2-3 weeks.

I hope it helps.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’m confused. You mean I recently recovered from the virus. Meaning I probably had it a week or even a few days ago & recovered ?

Yes. you got a silent infection and recovered in 7 days.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought covid 19 can last in your system for 2 weeks? So if I started creating antibodies that means my body has recovered & I shouldn’t get any symptoms now right?

Its life span may vary.

yes, your body has generated the antibodies. you are not likely to get any symptoms for COVID. you can consider your self safe.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank god. Should I still self isolate? When can I donate plasma?

No need for self isolation, you can donate plasma after 2-3 weeks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My doctor said that I should come back for another antibody test.. do I have to? Should my family be tested for antibodies(

Yes, you need to see for IgG after 2 weeks, you can donate plasma after that.

If your family members are not having symptoms, there is no need for testing.

I hope it helped.

Please don’t forget to rate my Answer.

Stay safe and healthy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sooo the physicians assistant said this, is she correct)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I see that the other expert has opted out.

Let me review the conversation and I will get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.
The physicians assistant is correct.
Asymptomatic people can still be infective even if the infectivity usually is much less 10 days after getting the infection, and therefore you need to self isolate yourself from your family to prevent spread of infection.
The antibody test should be repeated two weeks after the first test and if your your test shows only IgG antibody that will suggest that you do not have any active infection and you can come out of isolation.
Feel free to ask any follow up question.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I’ve been asymptomatic up until now I should remain asymptomatic for the rest right? I didn’t even know I was “sick “ until the results came out yesterday for my covid antibody test
Most people getting the infection remain asymptomatic and have minor symptoms if at all.
Therefore it is highly likely that you will remain asymptomatic considering that you also had a negative swab test.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also had a PCR test for the virus & it was negative. So what I’m confused about is... does my doctor think I recently got over the infection tested negative & could still be infectious? That’s why she wants me to stay in isolation for a week. I’ve been like really worried about this ever since I got the antibody test & literally I felt fine up until I got the antibody test.
Look, I will try to explain this to you.
You most likely contracted the infection but remained asymptomatic and most probably you have been able to get over the infection and your body has probably cleared it.
However there is a concern with false negative results of rt-pcr testing with some studies showing that 1 in 3 tests are false negative.
Therefore considering that you have still not developed igg antibodies there is a small probability that you are still carrying the infection and therefore to keep your family and others safe it is advised that you stay in isolation.
That is the gist of your condition and the logic.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay I got tested on May 26. My doctor said to isolate for a week so can I stop on June 2nd?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since May 26 was the day I had the antibody test
Ideally you should have a negative and positive igg test to end isolation.
That will clearly show us that you do not have any active infection.
Therefore at end of one week you can go in for testing again and that result will guide us regarding the further step to take.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What if it’s igm positive IGG negative still & she makes me go take the test again for covid (which was like 5 hour long wait) & that test comes out negative!?? Then what! This is all really annoying
Don't make yourself anxious by visualising hypothetical situations.
With negative swab test there is high probability of your being IGM negative and IgG positive at end of one week.
We really do not have much answers for a person who becomes sick with the virus and therefore precautions have to be taken.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have anxiety so I’m overthinking everything.
I’m 25 & I don’t have any pre conditions so I should be fine. It’s my mom I’m worried about
You should get it tested if you feel that she has been exposed.
There is no other way.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She refuses & my sister who’s a nurse & will be going to her hospital in July refuses too.
I do not know what to do but this has been exhausting.
I really cannot help you in this.
You have to somehow convince them.
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MS
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can’t convince them , they think they’re okay...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anyways.... thanks & I’ll keep isolating as best as I can