drbrush
drbrush, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Private practice general Internal Medicine
91859082

I have been having sinus issues off and on for about a month

I have been having sinus issues off and on for about a month that I think are related to allergies. Some headaches, congestion, occasional lightheaded/dizzy feeling. Today I woke up with my right ear completely clogged. It feels like after swimming when you get water-logged ears. I can’t seem to clear it by holding my nose and blowing out or with steam, etc. Any suggestions?

Hello, this is Doctor Brush. I'm a board certified Internal Medicine specialist for 35 years. I will be with you in a few minutes.

Hello, I'm sorry you're having issues. Please ignore any prompts for telephone calls , these are automated, we can text I do not need to talk on the phone.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay, thank you

I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. What is your age and gender?
  2. Are you taking any medications for your allergies?
  3. Do you have a fever?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
1. Woman, 48 years old
2. Just Tylenol Sinus/Allergy
3. No fever

Many times when you have sinus congestion, runny nose, the fluids can drain to the back of the throat and then go up the eustachian tube which connects the back of the throat to behind the eardrum, this can give you a feeling of stuffiness, sometimes imbalance or dizziness, sometimes ringing in the ear, and sometimes pain.

I find the best treatment for this is taking Claritin-D, which will both open up the eustachian tube and also dry out the fluid behind your eardrum. I would also start Flonase nasal spray At bedtime. This goes to the back of the throat and also gets behind the eardrum through the eustachian tube. I would also keep on trying to pop your ears as much as you can. If this is not clearing up in a few days I would recommend that you see your doctor. Sometimes they will put you on a short course of a steroid, which can clear out the swelling and inflammation and fluid behind the eardrum.

Hopefully I've answered your questions satisfactorily. I would appreciate it if you could please leave a five star rating at the lower part of your cell phone screen, where it states," rate expert to finish". Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This is so helpful! Thank you! I will try these.

You're very welcome.