Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

When I swallow, it feels like there's something in the

Second Opinion] When I swallow, it feels like there's something in the bottom of my throat. Has been going on for over a month. JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this? Customer: Lump in throat, some difficulty swallowing and difficulty focusing on anything but my throat. I have tried mucinex in case it was like some kind of build up of phlegm but after taking it for like, 4 days I stopped. JA: Have you seen a doctor about the lump? Customer: I went to an ENT and he told me he couldn't see anything and thought he needed to do a scope to see if it was something deeper in my throat but cancelled my next appointment because of social distancing. He didn't tell me what it could be or what I needed to do in the meantime. JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know? Customer: Nothing that I know of

Welcome to Just Answer.
The answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer or further information request.

What are your age and gender?

Do you have a sore throat, anxiety?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
27, Female. Yes both sore throat and anxiety.

In a young patient of your age group, this is unlikely to be anything serious. A postnasal drip or acid reflux can be the culprit that may be precipitated or predisposed by the anxiety.

The causes can be;

1) Mucosal injury (internal lining of pharynx and esophagus) may be caused by potassium chloride tablets, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or antibiotics (doxycycline, tetracycline, clindamycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole).

2) Pharyngeal diverticulum

3) Peptic strictures due to reflux

4) Benign esophageal tumors

5) Achalasia

6) Esophageal Stricture or constriction

7) Globus; a psychological phenomenon of something causing difficulty in swallowing (there is a condition called Globus sensation, which may be responsible for the symptom of a problem in swallowing). Please read this resource;

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch007/ch007e.html

Globus is quite a common phenomenon in your age group

Following investigations are necessary for the workup;

1) Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy

2) Esophageal manometry (pressure study of the food pipe).

3) CT scan

4) Barium swallow.

I would not worry at all as anxiety may be the foremost cause here.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you so much!

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Wishing you all the very best in life as well!

Thank you.