Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,38 years of experience
15267045

My wife was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. A day or so after

Hello. My wife was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. A day or so after taking it she started having pain in her hands. Then come swelling. TIghtness in the chest. Now extreme pain in her hands and now her knees are hurting. She contacted the doctor about 6-days after starting the prescription once we realized that it is more than likely side effects from the drug. Now the doctor from the hospital and her primary doctor both suggested 600mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day with some B12. It has got worse and more intense by the day. It's keeping her up at night and not subsiding. Any suggestions?
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When was your wife prescribed Macrobid? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I want to say March 19th
JA: Has she used anything besides Macrobid for this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She's allergic to sulphas, codine, vicodin and most cough meds

Hello,I am Dr. Aren, I will help with your question.Use of Macrobid may cause an arthritis like flare up of joint pains.This may not respond to NSAIDs, she may need help from a Rheumatologist if the pain becomes severe.It will needs drugs other than normally used.

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
Ok, so I'm guessing it's too late to take anything that would act like a binder?

Yes, it would be too late to prevent any further drug reactions.

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
ok, so your recommendation is to see a Rheumatologist?

Yes, the Nitrofurantoin can cause a Rheumatoid Arthritis type of arthritis in the joints causing severe pain. This definitely needs specialised help.

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
ok. Thank you very much

You are welcome.

Please rate my answer as 5 stars , (The stars are above and to the right of your answer box) so that I get credit for my efforts, thank you.

I wish your wife an early recovery and good health .