drbrush
drbrush, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Private practice general Internal Medicine
91859082

Bush i was exposed to loud noise that suddenly came on my

Hello Dr. Bush i was exposed to loud noise that suddenly came on my smart phone which was near my face and was the radio and it was very loud and irritated/rang my ears, i shut it off quickly at about 5-7 seconds. My ears feel sensitive to sound and still ring the next day. How long does this take to go away?. Hopefully there is no permanent damage like tinnitus. Do you think damage occurred?.

Hello, this is Doctor Brush. I'm a board certified Internal Medicine specialist for 35 years. I will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
thank you

Hello, sorry to hear about your ear. Temporary loud noises for 5-7 seconds should not do any permanent damage to your eardrum. It might give you temporary tinnitis, but this should go away in 2-3 days. I don't feel you have anything to worry about.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Thanks Doctor. I have sensitive ears due to the stress of my acid reflux and possibly the short term medications i took but what happened yesterday aggravated it more. I been worrying about my ears since yesterday. Tinnitus occurs due to repeated and prolonged exposure?. The phone was quite loud that it even irritated my mothers ears and she was 6ft away. Is there anything i can do to speed up the process to get rid of the ringing and sensitivity?

There is an over the counter pill called lipoflavenoid. It is a natural tablet with a number of vitamins and bioflavenoids. YOu should be able to get this at most healthfood stores. It does not have any side effects

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I can try that. My ears feel so sensitive to sound. I read things on the internet that scares me when it says it can be permanent. How is it possible such brief exposure can be permanent?. Maybe i read wrong.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I was looking at some specs of the highest db of volume for music on this phone and it says 75.2 so not overly loud but it seemed loud because it was close.