Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine
19706630

I am having trouble getting an erection when attempting

Second opinion] I am having trouble getting an erection when attempting intercourse
Hi. How old are you? Any medical problems? Are you on any medication?
Are you able to get an erection and ejaculate when you masturbate?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
im 20, no medical problems, and no medication besides supplements
And my second question?
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
yeah I can do both when I masturbate, but it takes a little work to get hard
If a young healthy guy has no problem with masturbation, then that means that there is no medical problems that cause the problem during attempted intercourse. It means your hormones are fine, the circulation is fine, the nerves are normal, etc. so it comes down to anxiety performance. That’s where the treatment needs to be directed.
Stress and anxiety all affect intercourse performance.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
is it a problem that I don't get spontaneous erections or "morning wood" that often if ever?
Erections mostly occur during sleep. Occasionally it can be there when you awake. We do a test where we attach probes to the penis during sleep. It records the number of erections during the night. I don’t think you need this test at this point.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I have been having this problem for almost 2 months now and I feel comfortable around her, could anxiety still be the problem?
I think that it is anxiety. Anxiety performance.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
is there anything I can do or take? and how long will it be like that? I'm just starting to get frustrated over this problem
There are great web sites to help with anxiety performance.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
ok thanks
You’re welcome. I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so I receive feedback and credit.