Aaron Branch
Aaron Branch,
Experience:  Attending Physician at Mercy Medical Center
89128835

Can you get cold symptoms like sore throat and sneezing when

second opinion] Can you get cold symptoms like sore throat and sneezing when you have your period?

Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will respond back to you soon.

You can catch a virus while having your period, which would cause the sore throat and sneezing. But no, a period does not cause cold symptoms. Is there something in particular you are concerned about?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
No I just haven’t been outbid the house to catch a virus so thought it may be due to that I’ve heard people talk about a period flu before
Sometimes women do report some flu like symptoms, though typically they are more headache and nausea, and not so much sore throat and sneezing. If you haven’t been around anyone who could have passed on a virus, it may be that it is due to the period; while it may be unusual, it may be the most likely cause in your case. another possibility could be allergies, which would have those symptoms as well. You could try taking an antihistamine such a Zyrtec or a nasal steroid spray to see if that helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions about that and I’d be glad to discuss it further with you.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you

You're welcome, please let me know if there's anything else I can help with in the future. Thank you for your question and take care.