DoctorRaza
DoctorRaza, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medical Specialist at Pakistan army
106199836

Here’s what’s going on I’ve had a chronic cough for months

Here’s what’s going on I’ve had a chronic cough for months been to the dr multiple times and they put me on antibiotics, I’ve been on at least 5. The last few days my cough is getting worse today I am coughing up blood, i have also had a chest X-ray that was slightly foggy a few weeks ago. I am a vaper (recently quit) my chest hurts so bad to breathe, or cough. & the blood is new I have a history of mycoplasma pneumonia.

Hello, my name is Dr Raza, thank you for using Justanswer. I am a consultant internal medicine specialist (FCPS Medicine and MRCP UK) with 10 years’ experience. I am reviewing your question. I am sorry for the long wait, but I have just come online and will be happy to help you
May I please know your age please?

Please share the image of the chest x ray?

Are you running fever?

Phlegm with green or yellow color?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I’m 26 yo female, no fever, but I didn’t run a fever when I had the mycoplasma, phlegm is hello/green and bloody
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I don’t know if I have an image of the X-ray that was 3 weeks ago the dr told me it was cloudy but a day later the radiologist said it was normal

If you are not running fever then you do not need another course of antibiotic

Was it the whole clot of blood when you coughed or was it just streaking?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It’s was streaks of blood but I’m so SOB, and it’s so painful. There has to be something wrong and I don’t feel like anyone is taking me seriously. This has been going on for literally weeks

I understand

Are you smoking cigarettes now?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I never did I’ve vaped for 2 years. I haven’t had any today. I have a patch on

Right

The most common cause of streaking of sputum with blood is acute bronchitis but there can be other rare causes like

Bronchiectasis (obstruction of aiways)

TUberculosis (very rare in your region)

Malignancy (very unlikely with someone of your age)

Please get a CAT scan (HRCT) of your lungs done as it will give a conclusive answer to the cause of the blood and phlegm in the cough

To me it is acute bronchitis but the scan is just to make sure and for your ease of mind

Till the time you get the testing done

Please take adequate water

Albuteral inhaler 2 puffs when you feel your chest congested or short of breath

Mucinex syrup twice a day

It will relieve you symptoms

Acute bronchitis can sometimes take 3 months to settle completey

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I want a bronchoscopy, how do I get that done?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My mother has stage 4 lung cancer

My mother has stage 4 lung cancer

I am sorry for that

Please ask your lung doctor and he will do it keeping in view the chronic cough and blood in the phlegm