Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My sister was diagnosed with NSIP interstitial lung disease

Hi there, my sister was diagnosed with NSIP interstitial lung disease two years ago. She was on cortizone for 16 months, and she still uses Foratec and Cyclovent. She sleeps with oxygen permanently. Started with cortizone again in October. In December a doctor prescribed Methotrexate that was supposed to ease the cortizone effect. The Methotrexate made her feel very uneasy ... she now has water on her lungs. WE ARE DESPERATE FOR ANSWERS. I considered ozone treatment, stem cell transplants or, if no other option available, a lung transplant. She is 68 years old, has never smoked, and lives a very healthy life. She does not exercise but is an active housewife.
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When was your sister prescribed Cortizone? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: Sorry let me quickly this info from her
JA: Has she used anything besides Cortizone for this?
Customer: I will send the info shortly. She lives in Pretoria, South Africa, and I live on the West Coast, South Africa
JA: Anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: While I wait ... it seems we need The Good Doctor here. Can you page him? :-)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Prednisone was prescribed 2 years ago, and her feet and face become swollen as a side effect. Her skin is thinning, immunity compromised. During November her lungs became worse, and the doctor prescribed Methotrexate to buffer the cortizone. This caused moisture in her lungs.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
She had Hepatitis A as well as chickenpox, measles and mumps as a child. Overactive thyroid, of which a half was removed later in her life.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can e-mail a scan of her lungs if it can help

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis. Actually NSIP is of two types primarily and these two types are differentiated on the basis of a biopsy. The first type cellular NSIP actually has a very good prognosis and it would usually respond to steroids or another immunosuppressive agent however the other type, fibrotic NSIP is one of the more difficult things to treat as it usually does not respond to most of the medications. Now in her case, given that she was sustained on steroids for a period of 16 months means that the disease is somewhat responsive to the steroids and that is a good sign. Yes she now has water in the lungs (which could be pleural effusions - fluid outside the lungs in the pleural cavity OR pulmonary edema - which is fluid inside the airways of the lungs, usually when we say water on the lungs that indicates pleural effusions which can be managed with various measures like drainage and also be treating the underlying cause), however that water can be managed as i indicated after we determine the cause of this accumulation. This can be done by taking a small sample of the water out from the pleural cavity and analyzing it, it will tell us what the exact cause is and then we can treat it accordingly. In many cases, it is due to the effects of steroids and usually, diuretics would be enough to get rid of the water.

Now as far as her NSIP is concerned, if she is not able to tolerate methotrexate there are several other options that can be used alone or in combination with other medications. All of the following medications have had excellent results in many patients and they have reduced the requirement of steroids significantly. The ones which can be tried include,

• Azathioprine - A common regimen is to start with 25 to 50 mg/day and increase by 50 mg increments every 7 to 14 days up to 1.5 to 2.0 mg/kg per day, but not exceeding a maximum total dose of 200 mg/day.
  • Mycophenolate Mofetil (MMF) - The target dose of MMF is generally between 1.5 and 3 g daily, usually in two divided doses (eg, 0.75 to 1.5 twice daily). Starting with lower doses, such as 500 mg twice daily, and increasing to the target dose over three to four months may improve a patient's gastrointestinal tolerance of MMF. This drug has shown excellent efficacy in controlling NSIP in patients especially where methotrexate is not well tolerated.

Now if the above medications dont work or dont help in controlling the disease then it will be labelled as Refractory disease and she can be started on,

• Cyclophosphamide - this is used on a monthly basis and it has been shown to reduce the NSIP symptoms significantly and prevent acute worsening of the disease
  • Rituximab - Usually this is used by administering two doses of 1 g each about 1-2 weeks apart and then repeating the dose as necessary
  • Calcineurin Inhibitors - These are drugs like cyclosporine or tacrolimus which have been used successfully in managing even the most severe of NSIP cases successfully.

So in your sister's case, there are still a number of treatment options available which have not been tried as of yet and I think given her situation and the fact that it has been just two years since she was started on steroids and the disease has not progressed to a severe level as of yet, I think she can be started on azathioprine or mycophenolate right now and then we can adjust her treatment according to the response.

A lung transplant is certainly an option which is available however we usually dont consider a lung transplant until the lungs have been severely damaged by the NSIP, or atleast until the NSIP has placed some strain on the heart and caused the development of pulmonary hypertension. A lung transplant is the last resort measure in situations like these which is why i think at the moment we can wait and try the other medications that I have mentioned above.

Also if you get a phone call request, it is an AUTOMATED site response and I did NOT send it. We can continue here just fine.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much for the reply.
Two questions:
1, Would tissue salts no 9 Nat Mur be advisable to get rid of the water in her lungs?
2. Would any of the ozone treatments help? Ozone bath?

1) Tissue salts no 9 Nat Mur is a homeopathic remedy and a little outside of my domain, but it is something which is better discussed with a homeopathic physician.

2) As far as ozone treatments are concerned, so far there is no evidence that ozone treatments or even an ozone bath would help to improve NSIP in patients. Yes it may help in certain other conditions but the studies regarding its efficacy in NSIP are lacking, so that is something which we dont recommend at the moment for management of NSIP.