Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

Blood pressure of 166/100 accompanied with blurry vision and

Customer Question

Blood pressure of 166/100 accompanied with blurry vision and a headache?
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the headache? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Occasionally, no prescription
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the headache?
Customer: We saw the doctor and cardiologist
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Prescription for Sinus Tachycardia currently
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 10 days ago.

Hello -

Are all of these symptoms new?

How old are you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am 23. They have been going on for over a month now. I went to the doctor and he thought I had SVT so we were sent to a cardiologist. The cardiologist couldn't find anything and gave me a prescription for cardizem. I started having blurry vision tonight and got an instant headache. We checked my blood pressure and it was 167/100
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 10 days ago.

Well, that blood pressure is high, and it may be the reason for your headache and blurry vision.

This is hard to evaluate over the Internet, and although you are young -- having a headache, blurry vision, and high blood pressure is generally something that should be evaluated in person. While it may not be an emergency, I would want to get this looked at ASAP.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay that thank you doctor. Every on the internet says that's an emergency situation but I wanted to be sure.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Everywhere*
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 10 days ago.

Yes, it's tough -- certainly if you were 60 years old, and had all these new symptoms -- that would definitely be the ER.

But it's less likely that a 23 year old has those types of issues (but not impossible) -- so certainly if you feel bad, getting it evaluated tonight would be fine.