Bilal Mustafa
Bilal Mustafa,
Experience:  Assistant Professor Cardiology at Akbar Niazi Teaching Hospital
105301307

Less than a month ago I experienced a pneumothorax and was

Hi, less than a month ago I experienced a pneumothorax and was in the hospital for about a week. This morning, I made a weird move and felt a pop or something of the sort and had chest pain/shortness of breath similar to what I felt when I had the pneumothorax. The feeling this time was nowhere near as severe and I've been waiting for 12 hours to see if it goes away which it hasn't but it also hasn't become worse. Am I okay to continue waiting at home for it to heal? I'm already in a great deal of debt from the hospital visit and can't afford to go again so I'd prefer to not go if I don't have to.
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the shortness of breath? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: The shortness of breath only happens when I bend over and it's very brief. It's not a consistent problem. I haven't used any medication.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the shortness of breath?
Customer: No, I haven't.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nope, I've been quite healthy up till this pesky issue.
greetings. Dr Bil here.
Can u kindly tell me how did that pneumothorax occured?
was it spontaneous?
were any "bulla" identified on your x rays or CT scan?
did u receive a chest tube for the pneumothorax and is the pain on same side?
whats ur pulse right now
plz ignore call request. its auto
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Dr. Bil
, yeah it was spontaneous. I'm guessing there were no "bulla" identified because I've never heard the term! I had a chest tube inserted which remained for the week I stayed in the hospital. The pain is on the same side and I'm not sure what my pulse is. I don't feel like my heart is moving fast so my guess is it's normal.
Great. Then no need to be worried. Fast pulse is a v reliable early sign of a pneumothorax. And since pain is on same side of chest tube, its v likely muscular. As during chest tube insertion a lot of muscle wear and tear happens and it does pain in recovery phase. However in any case of spontaneous pneumo, "bulla" (bubblea on lung surface with tendency to rupture and give another pneumo) shud b screened for. So on ur next visit do ask ur physician if they were looked into. For now HAKUNA MATATA :)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much! Have a good night
u too. Wish u the v best. Regards