Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

How does it usually take for blood pressure to increase?

Hi, how long does it usually take for blood pressure to increase? Let's say from a systolic number of 120 to 150? Can it be within 2-3 months? If not, what could cause a systolic reading of 150 when previous blood pressure history has been normal. Could anxiety raise blood pressure by 20-30 points?

Welcome to Justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal. I am reviewing your question and I will respond shortly.

Thanks for your question.
Blood pressure can rise pretty fast and it can rice from 120 to 150 within minutes.
Anything which causes release of adrenaline in our body will cause the blood pressure to rise.
This includes anxiety, physical activity and pain.
Feel free to ask any follow up question.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh ok, but what about resting blood pressure? If I regularly have a systolic number of 120 one month and then the next month it's 150, is that normal or probably anxiety? Can hypertension develop that fast, if not anxiety?
Anxiety can cause this type of rise of blood pressure.
For clinical hypertension you need to have elevated blood pressure on several readings
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can going from walking to sitting and then checking blood pressure give a very high reading of 167? Or is that too high?
Walking can cause the blood pressure to rise that may persist for few minutes after you have stopped working.
The best way to know if you have normal blood pressure is to take your blood pressure in the morning before breakfast and without doing any physical activity or exercise prior to taking the reading.
It should be taken when you are properly rested and are relaxed.
You should also avoid crossing your legs when the blood pressure is being taken.
That can cause false elevation of the blood pressure.
You should take the morning blood pressure 3 days in a row and if it remains persistently elevated it may be said that you are having hypertension.
I feel that you have health anxiety regarding your blood pressure and that is causing the blood pressure to rise at different moments.
Taking multiple readings all day long will not really help you in telling if your blood pressure is normal.
You should take blood pressure reading in the morning as that will provide you a truer picture.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for that. How fast can hypertension develop? Can it be within months or does it take longer even years? Or is that a case by case thing.
It can vary from person to person.Usually insidious and will take months.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If resting systolic blood pressure went from 120 to 150 within 3 months, is it unlikely that its hypertension and due to other factors like anxiety and physical activity before taking a reading?
You should take the morning resting blood pressure as explained earlier.
If that systolic blood pressure remains higher we can say that this is hypertension.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah ok. Yes I will begin to do that. If I did have hypertension, how long would it take before it started causing damage?
That again is variable and it can take many years for any damage to be evident because of hypertension.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much! You've helped a lot. I will start to check my blood pressure in the mornings as you've said and go from there.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it normal to feel my heart pounding hard and see my pulse clearly in my neck? It was as if my neck muscles were twitching but it was my pulse. It was after some heavy exertion but am wondering if that's anything concerning.

This is normal after heavy exertion

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
So quick to respond, thank you!