Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I had a colostomy and reversal in 2012. Since on occasion I

I had a colostomy and reversal in 2012. Since on occasion I have felt "Charley horse" pain. This past week it has been a constant nagging spasm. I do not have problems with my bowels at the moment
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had the spasm? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Off and on since 2012. until this week no I have not tried meds
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the spasm?
Customer: no.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have RA and fibromyalgia

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask your age and gender? And where exactly do you feel the charley horse pain? In the abdomen at the site of your reversal? Or in other regions of the body? Any urinary complaints? Any fever etc? Or nausea or vomiting?

Also if you get a phone call request, it is an AUTOMATED site response and I did NOT send it. We can continue here just fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
48 female. the pain is at the site of my reversal in the abdomen. and can be brought in by sitting up from a laying down position.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no fever or urinary complaints

Thanks for the additional information. I will get back to you with a written answer within a few minutes. Thanks for your patience.

Ok so fro what you are describing, it does not sound like that there is a very serious issue in the region. Yes if you were unable to pass stools or you were also experiencing tenderness in the region which means pain on pressing down on the region, then it would be something which does need to be evaluated. Other symptoms which require immediate evaluation include,

ABdominal distension

Nausea

Vomiting

If these symptoms occur then yes you should be evaluated by your doctor as soon as possible. However in their absence the most likely cause for your symptoms is a muscle spasm of the abdominal wall muscles which can last for several weeks in some patients. The fact that the pain occurs mostly on you sitting up from a laying down position also fits into the possibility of this being a spasm. In most cases this can be corrected with simple measures like,

Increased intake of plain water

Increased intake of electrolyte-rich fluids like Gatorade and Pedialyte

Use of OTC anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice daily

Application of OTC Capsaicin gel over the area twice a day

Application of heat on the area for 10-15 minutes at a time, 4-5 times the day

If that does not help in managing the symptoms over the next 3-4 days then you will need prescription muscle relaxants and you should see your doctor in that situation.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today, do remember to rate me by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any Bonuses would be well appreciated!