DrMomChandler
DrMomChandler, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician , Board Certified Internal Medicine
107214430

What is available for opioid induced constipation? I've had

Customer Question

What is available for opioid induced constipation?
JA: The Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had constipation? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: I've had it for about 3 days. I was told by my primary care physician to use Miramax , which I have been using very effectively until I became irregular.
JA: Have you used anything besides MiraLax for this?
Customer: Previouly, I had used Rite aid bran Laxative with stool softener but was told to stop using it and use Miramax instead
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had 3 back surgeries and after countless physical therapy sessions chiropractic still have severe pain . The cold winter weather exacerbates the situation. Seems like , when muscles tighten up this time of year, it makes it harder to go!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrMomChandler replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am DrMomChandler and here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will be right with you.

Was there a particular reason you were told to stop the bran and stool softener, or just because you started the miralax?

it ok to combine forces, for example to take the fiber and the miralax. There is also no "too much" when used as needed for opioid constipation.

Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water a day, half your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 ounces of fluid daily.