Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

Dr I have aeromonas hydrophyllia growing. I had this at

Dr DavidI have aeromonas hydrophyllia growing. I had this at least 7 years ago and was treated with doxycycline. Is it possible for this bacteria to remain in my gut all these years and somehow get activated again?

Hi! My name is Dr. Sumanth Amperayani. Dr. David doesn't appear to be online now! Would you like me to try and see if I can answer your question or would you prefer to wait for Dr David you mentioned in your query?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes I would. I don't know if you saw my previous question.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Severe diarrhea for 6 days.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I would prefer if you could answer

I have seen the question about the bug and I am responding now.

I understand your concern.

There is no way that this bug could have been in the gut for so long without causing any symptoms.

Usually it is an opportunistic organism and can uncommonly cause some gastrointestinal infections like this in normal individuals too.

Unless you are having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (elemental zinc 20 mg once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use tablet Ondansetron (as prescribed by your physician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea.

But you can take fruits as such as they contain fibre and help in formed stools. You can take zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Most crucial part is keeping yourself well hydrated. Make sure you pass urine at least 6th hourly once.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much
I am very careful with handwashing and cleanliness. I don't understand how I could have contacted this again. I don't eat seafood. No one else in family is sick..I did have a gastric bypass 17 years ago if that makes a difference.

No it does not please.

But it is unpredictable.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you

May I request for a 5 - star positive rating so that I can get my professional credit please!

I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.
Kind regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani