drbrush
drbrush, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Private practice general Internal Medicine
91859082

For most of my life Ive had constipation. 98% of the time

Good Morning...For most of my life Ive had constipation. 98% of the time straining, hard lumpy stools. Two months ago I started to diet, 5'7" was 184, am now 160, and eating very healthy. I rarely had the 'urge' for a bm and would go days without moving bowels unless I forced them out. Since losing weight and eating better, I will get an urge now once in awhile and the rest of the time not so much. Like today, I had the urge, had to strain, and lumpy stool. On other days, barely have to push (no urge) and normal stool. Is there an explanation for this? Drinking water, but only about 8 oz a day. :(

Hello, how are you doing? I am a board certified Internal Medicine specialist and I've been in practice for 35 years. Just to ask you a few questions what is your age and gender? Have you ever had a colonoscopy?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am 65, female. Yes, colonoscopy was fine

It sounds like it is a possibility that's since you change your diet, you might be getting more fiber. This includes fruits, vegetables, and possibly complex carbohydrates. These can all cause your stools to soften up and also help with having bowel movements more frequently. Occasionally you still might have some lumpy stools And have to strain, but generally speaking, your intestines have become "active", allowing you to go more frequently. This is very healthy for you, and in fact might significantly decrease your risk for developing colon cancer.

Hopefully I have answered your questions satisfactorily. I would appreciate it if you could please leave a five star rating at the top of the screen, since this is my only means of getting credit for the answer. keep up the diet and good luck

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Do you have time for another question or 2?

Sure

If it is about a different topic, just answer insists on your rating the first topic answer before I answer further question. Thank you