Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
101446932

I recently was told that my sleepwalking actually may be

I recently was told that my sleepwalking actually may be nocturnal seizures. I’m 49.
JA: The Neurologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: Chronic daily intractable migraine
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: daily. With nausea
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: mixed episodes medication manages

Hello, My name is Dr. Greg. I am a U.S. trained, board certified physician, and am happy to assist you with your health concern today. Please allow me a few minutes to read and respond to your question.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you.

Yes, you are correct. On rare occasions, a person who is sleep walking could be having nocturnal seizures. If you are concerned that this is happening to you, I would recommend that you request a sleep study (polysomnography) referral from your doctor. This test can determine if you are likely to have typical sleep walking, or if this is more likely to be seizure. I hope you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
They did a sleep study the other night. I didn’t sleepwalk. Will they still be able to tell? I am also a head banger in my sleep at times

Ok that's good. Yes, any seizure like activity will be picked up by the study. Often, if a person is having nocturnal seizures, they will have them when sleep walking and when they are not sleep walking.