Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor with 9 years of experience in family medicine, pediatrics, sexually transmitted diseases, dermatology, gynecology, general surgery and traumatology
99147888

A couple months ago I was told I have wpw. I saw a

Hi so a couple months ago I was told I have wpw. I saw a cardiologist he said it was mild and that heart rate is key to monitoring. I originally had chest discomfort and pain and the dr said that’s not really related to wpw. So he did tests and said just to monitor it because after the stress test my heart rate was 167 while running. Currently it’s 73 resting. Is heart rate a key to monitoring this? Another dr said to have the procedure done to be safe but I’m curious what the timeline I need to do this is.

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

How old are you?
How long have you had these problems?
How often do you have chest pain?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
25 and a few months maybe 3, and it’s sporadic sometimes a couple times a day then nothing for a while
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Male

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok

Dear Friend WPW Syndrome is a condition in which there is an additional electrical pathway of the heart and this condition can lead to periods of rapid heart rate of cardiac excitation generating frequent supraventricular tachycardias, however in your case the heart rate values are normal at rest to these under physical activity rise a little more than normal however if during physical activity there is no chest pain or respiratory distress symptoms should only be treated medically with medication, there are several forms of treatment but the medical treatment is the first option, if not controlled with medical treatment of antiarrhythmics in other cases is performed a surgical procedure called ablation that eliminates the fiber that generates tachycardia. but in your case,if you are showing symptoms and your age should start with medical treatment.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What are examples of the medication? Is that the same as the procedure?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
and is it ok if I wait a couple weeks

antiarrhythmics such as procainamide or amiodarone are the most common to control or prevent rapid heartbeats.
Yes, you can wait a few weeks.

the procedure is a surgery that is done through a catheter that reaches the heart. but it is a very low risk and very good procedure.

Do you have any questions???

If you have any query, please feel free to ask .I hope this information will be helpful.Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards