Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a catheter, change it every 30 days and irrigate

I have a catheter, change it every 30 days and irrigate daily—I have had it for 6 years due to retention—MS related. I have had almost continual UTIs for the past year and am becoming resistant to most antibiotics. My major symptoms are high fever and weakness. My urologist says bacteria will always colonize around the catheter and from time to time will cause an infection. He is suggesting the use of an antibiotic prophylactically. It seems to me that would result in resistance also. I have a fear of serious sepsis.
JA: The Urologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?
Customer: I seem to have lost you.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: The fevers respond to Tylenol and an antibiotic— but are getting worse. The fever has reached as high as (would you believe?) 106. I am recovering from one now.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Have you discussed with your doctor about getting a low dose of antibiotic therapy on a long term basis?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Since I am becoming resistant to so many antibiotics usually but not always related to Ecoli I am concerned about more resistance.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Yes, your fears are right. You can develop resistance but don't worry, you are not going to get sepsis. I would suggest that your doctor should put you on a long term low dose antibiotic therapy. This will just make you resistant and that is not necessary, against one antibiotic but trying different antibiotics, again and again, will not be a good idea. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. A 5-star rating is requested and will be appreciated. Regards