Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I currently stopped drinking alchol,7 days in have been

Hi..I currently stopped drinking alchol,7 days in have been taking paxil for a number of years for GAD now suffer from anxiety will paxil start working again?
JA: The Psychologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. How long have you been taking Paxil? Any recent changes in dosage?
Customer: `15 yrs
JA: How have you been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: Itake 0.5 mg Ativan to help
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: this GAD was diagnosed 15 yes ago no problems to really speak of since. a recent divorce helped kick thing up the last 5 months

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

I am sorry that no expert has yet responded. The question has been moved from Mental Health to Medical so that an expert can respond.

In this setting, it cannot be said whether the Paxil will work again. There is a chance that Paxil may work again, but it cannot be said that it definitely will work again.

It is true that alcohol can contribute to anxiety and depression, so can be contributing to the poor response to Paxil. And now that you are no longer drinking alcohol, the Paxil has a better chance of working.

But it cannot definitely be said that the Paxil will work again, as there are other possibilities. Any antidepressant may lose its effectiveness over time, and that is true when used for treatment of any condition.

So, it is reasonable to give the Paxil some time to see if it will work again, but if there is no improvement over the next 2-3 weeks, then it also would be reasonable to discuss with your doctor about changing to a different antidepressant.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you