Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Just wanted one clarification on! Needle cap removal that is

Hi just wanted one clarification on ! Needle cap removal that is all during a blood draw procedureI have taken great help from my personal doctor

I thought that this was addressed in the other thread.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Oh thanks ! Doc

To be honest I want to go for blood draw in two days ! .

If you can just tell me not to worry on two points that I want to PRACTICE I can go

One point ) was assuming nurse has. Hiv hepatitis b c

And I fear nurse has bleeding finger because of cut

And during inserting the needle nurse bleeding finger touches and gets on external surface of needle .

And wet blood gets on needle . And needle is pushed into me for my vein WITHOUT nurse removing the finger from the external surface

So we said even nurse finger on needle with the new blood coming out of nurse finger be blocked ?

No the answer is no . Air is a gas and will be there if blood is there

Since air is a gas it can enter places before liquid that is blood

2)So thereforewhen nurse finger is on the needle any NEW wet blood coming out of nurse finger even with finger pressed on needle will be exposed to air.

Because if blood is there air will be there so hiv hepatitis b. C will be dead

3) you referred to air as a gas . It will everywhere even if nurse applies full pressure on the needle surface it will be there.so any new blood coming out nurse finger will be dead for hiv hepatitis b c .

Because air can go into tight spaces before liquid that is blood

So this in my case the tight space is the finger that is pressed on the needle . And fear nurse has a bleeding. Finger

4) I just wanted to ask is it safe for nurse to twist the needle cap and then remove the needle cap . Does that creat any risk ? Like damaging the cap

These two things I only want to practice

And I can go for blood draw immediately with your help

However sometimes brief replies can be draining me out ! So if you don’t give me brief replies I can get out of his now !
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Attaching picture of point where I think nurse finger would be if blood was getting on needle

And second how the cap looks like that is all
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
This point highlighted is where I think nurse bleeding finger would be pressed on external surface of needle
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And this is how just how the cap looks like that is all ! . So can nurse twist the cap ? Do you twist from fingers the cap as well

Or do we have to just pull it off
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I rated your other question if I can practice these two points with you then I’m okay ! But brief replies drain me out .
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I want to practice this

As we previously discussed, any virus in the blood from the nurse that gets on the external surface of the needle will be dead because of exposure to air.

And in regards to removing the cap, the nurse can remove the cap with the fingers in any way that is easiest for the nurse, It is fine to twist, pull, push, etc. Any method that the nurse finds easiest is OK.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And if you can really push me on this part then surely in two days time I’ll go for blood draw and report back to you

OK

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
For point number 1) air access for the new blood will be there even if nurse finger is pressed on the needle .

Reason : because air is a gas and can enter into areas before liquid

So in my case when blood gets on needle even if nurse finger is fully on the needle and needle is pushed in me without nurse removing the bleeding finger

From the surface of the needle .

We can say blood is there then certainly air is also there for the new blood coming out of nurse finger .

You got what I’m saying with nurse finger fully pressed touching the needle and get wet blood on it .

In area of the oic

2) fine so basically if nurse twists the cap . The cap will not break or anything and nurse won’t get a prick . It’s completely normal to twist the cap with fingers and then just pull it out smoothly

Instead of just just pulling it forcefully .

So can you keep practicing these two points with me because brief replies are draining me out . Completely
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That’s the cap
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
This area where we think nurse finger will be pressed on needle
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Assuming nurse has hiv hepatitis b c
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I want detail replies for both one and two . That is a huge moral booster
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
So only two points and then we go for blood draw report back to you
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And since air is always there for new blood coming out Any blood on needle will
Be dead for hiv hepatitis b c because of air exposure . Even with nurse finger on the area highlighted on the pic

I provided the detail on the first issue in our previous discussions -

A. In the context of the scenario that you describe, air is always present.

B. This is true for any realistic pressure that can be applied by the nurse.

C. This is true for any and all possible sites of bleeding from the nurse.

D. This is true for any and all possible external surfaces of the needle.

E. This is true for any and all possible reasons why a needle may be inserted.

On the second point, I just provided all the detail that is pertinent - the nurse can remove the cap with the fingers in any way that is easiest for the nurse, It is fine to twist, pull, push, etc. Any method that the nurse finds easiest is OK.

The method of removal of the cap has nothing to do with whether nurses prick themselves. Nurses can prick themselves regardless of how the cap is removed. But from the beginning, you have consistently said that the nurse is not pricked in the scenario that you wanted to discuss.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Yes I’m sure nurse won’t prick themselves they are not stupid

I was only saying that does twisting the cap damage the cap with finger damage the cap ?

The cap is strong enough it won’t break if nurse twist the cap with finger

Have you ever removed the cap by twisting it with your finger and then removing the cap slowly ?

Is it Okay to do that

2) okay just once clarification my doubt so that we don’t go back and fourth

When I go for blood draw can you see the pic during insertion

The area highlighted on the pic if nurse finger is on the needle on area highlighted and bleeding on nurse

Will the new blood coming out of nurse finger be exposed to air .

Or will the air get blocked because nurse finger is pressed and now there is no space for air to come (this is incorrect )

The correct answer even with nurse bleeding finger will always be exposed to air because if new blood got out then air would be there .

Because air is. Gas and can enter before liquid that is blood .

So putting finger on the needle external surface will never block air access .

So nurse bleeding finger will be always be exposed To air when needle is inserted into me for blood draw

So bottom line any blood coming out of nurse finger is dead for hiv hepatitis b c . Because of air exposure

Assuming nurse has hiv hepatitis b c

And this is the area highlighted on the pic this part .
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And in your reply when you say

This means nurse bleeding finger is on the needle pressed and finger is not removed . Bleeding is happening on needle but air exposure will be there for new blood coming out of nurse finger because air is gas and enter into any space before liquid that is blood
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And when I go for blood draw is it okay nurse can twist the cap a bit , the cap comes a bit loose and then just remove the cap from the needle

The nurse can remove the cap with the fingers in any way that is easiest for the nurse, It is fine to twist, pull, push, etc. Any method or combination of methods that the nurse finds easiest is OK.

Air is always present in the scenario that you describe.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay so when I go for blood draw nurse can twist the cap with finger and then remove the cap okay ?

The nurse I don’t think will be just pulling the cap . The nurse will twist cap from finger and then remove so that’s final ?

The cap won’t get damaged by twisting with finger . Like nurse fingers cannot go through the fingers cap . Right ?

The cap is strong it’s made of plastic basically I think

2) yes air is always present even if nurse bleeding finger gets wet blood on external needle with finger fully on the needle and no point nurse will remove the finger .

So air access cannot get blocked for the new blood coming out of nurse finger when finger is on the needle .

Because air is a gas and will enter areas before liquid that is blood

when the new blood is coming out nurse finger
Because if blood is there air will be there .

So I won’t have to fear nurse bleeding finger on the needle now on area Highlighted on the pic

Because hiv hepatitis b c will be dead from nurse bleeding finger because of air exposure

So when needle is inserted into me the virus would already be dead .

You saw the pic where I think nurse bleeding finger would be on ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And I’ll just summarise this then I go for blood draw and report back to you

1) Yes, any method for removing the cap is fine,

2) Yes, air is always present.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay when I go for blood draw

Nurse most likely twist the cap and then remove the cap from
The cover .

This method is basically done by many other nurses it’s nothing abnormal.

2) yes you saw this pic

The area highlighted on pic where I think nurse bleeding finger would be on during inserting needle assuming has hiv hepatitis b c

Even with finger fully pressed on needle /applying pressure on needle

Air will be there kill hiv hepatitis b c for the new blood coming out of nurse finger

There is no such thing no air exposure

There will only be with air exposure when nurse has bleeding finger on the needle and air CAN NOT GET BLOCKED.
The new blood will always be exposed to air if wet blood got on needle

So this is fine nurse can press on needle air will be there you cannot block air access

So hiv hepatitis b c

You see the area the pic that’s the area .
So don’t fear nurse bleeding finger on it .
Even if finger isn’t removed

3)Just say air is present with finger on needle nurse bleeding finger gets wet blood on needle so what air is there to kill hiv hepatitis b c
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Assuming if we think nurse has hiv hepatitis b c
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And after this just one clarification I want to be clear why I’m talking nurse finger on needle is exposed to air after this reply I’ll share that and we go for blood draw
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Infact I’ll fix it now

Basically doc I fear nurse bleeding finger on needle will block air access to new blood coming out of nurse finger .

Because the nurse finger is pressed on needle and not allowing new air to enter

This is fear is over because if blood can be on needle the air will be there as well .

Air will always enter before blood because it’s a gas and blood is liquid that’s

Why hiv hepatitis b c will be dead with blood on needle

You got my point now this is it

Then I go for blood draw
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
So you see the last post we have the worry and then correction

I got your point days ago, and I have repeatedly told you that air is always present.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Yes I worry , so that’s why I want to kill this worry that look doc understood this point

That air cannot get blocked for the new blood coming out of nurse finger

With the finger fully pressed and pressure applied on the needle

The finger wil not be removed from needle ,

1) This way air cannot get blocked for the new blood coming out of nurse finger

2) because air is gas and will always enter the new blood will always be exposed to air

3(Because as you say blood is there then air is there

So that’s why hiv hepatitis b c will be dead on needle when needle is instated into me

4) So I don’t have to fear air access being blocked for the new blood coming out of nurse finger with finger being pressed on needle

Because air wil always be present thus hiv hepatitis b c will be dead for the new blood
From nurse finger

Bottom line : air cannot be blocked even if nurse finger is pressed on needle this way air is always present and hiv hepatitis b c will be dead

Assuming nurse has hiv hepatitis b c

You got my fear of me saying air won’t get blocked
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And I just to go for blood draw just do it now but I need some practice
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
But you can right words for me air is there like present even finger on needle

And like air accessed won’t be blocked there won’t such thing as no air exposure and blood will be always exposed to air this helps

If you type different words for me it helps
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
So you just have to clear my thought

By saying look nurse bleeding finger on needle cannot be blocked

There will be still be air exposure to the new blood . This is the game plan i need to understand this and on the day of blood draw i will be reporting back to you surely I won’t be scared during blood draw
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Air cannot be blocked for the new blood assuming nurse has hiv hepatitis b c so I just need to create a summary for this

Yes, all of this is correct.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay so rule no 1 air cannot be blocked for the new blood coming out once finger is pressed on needle in area as shown in pic .there will always be air exposure . Even with the finger fully pressed on needle .

2)My thought that once needle

2) doc as you say hiv hepatitis b c is dead from because of air exposure

Is there any other reason

Like we know wet blood on needle is dead for hiv hepatitis b c .if needle got inserted Into me

Would the blood on the external needle not be allowed to enter my body ?

Basically by body blood flow is out ward

So blood won’t be able to enter even if the needle went in me ??

Or well air exposure is just the only reason I Have to say no risk for hiv hepatitis b c
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
For point number 2)My thought on once needle is on finger the no new blood will be not be exposed to air because of the finger on the needle is stopping air from coming in

But we have corrected this by saying that new blood will be exposed to air even with finger pressed so hiv hepatitis b c will be dead

So this I want to practice with you only

And one thing can you give any other reason besides air exposure like I asked just now
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
This is the area in the pic
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
And there is one more also point of concern this point also when hands are close to the bottom on needle
That’s that’s the only two points of worry

The reason to not be concerned is what I have repeatedly told you - any virus would be dead.;

If the nurse dropped the uncapped needle on the floor, do you want the nurse to insert the needle into your arm? If not, why not?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I know you have told repeatedly to be specific for my PEACE OF MIND: air exposure will be there even if with nurse bleeding finger is on the needle . This is what I am clearing out

Air access cannot get blocked this what im clearing out

Any virus would be dead if the finger remains on the needle also
We must say this to myself that new blood will always be exposed to air with finger pressed on needle . Assuming nurse has hiv hepatitis b c

Bottom line : I’m clearing out the air exposure will be there for the new blood coming out nurse finger .

When nurse has applied pressure in the external surface of needle .
So that’s why hiv hepatitis b c

This why I’m repeating it and I want to ask it today and tomorrow even if we have a new consult

So you understood my point

2) absolutely not I won’t use it for sure I won’t .

But is there any other reason besides air exposure like even if needle goes in . Does the body blood flow outward is outside

Correct ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
So point number 1 I want to clear out so that I never have to worry that air is blocked when nurse hands are on the needle
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
So I want to clear this today and tomorrow! Even with new consult so they when i go for blood draw no excuses

What does "always" mean?

Is the situation you describe part of "always"?

The issue is that the viruses in the blood are dead. The germs on the floor are not dead. They are not HIV, hepatitis B or C, but they are live germs. And you do not want to stick a needle with live germs in your aram - I don;t care what blood flow is happening - you do not want to stick a needle with live germs in your arm.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes I meant that the fear is what we had like if nurse finger is pressed on needle . Any new blood coming out won’t be exposed to air ?

This is incorrect.

And the correct thought is that that new blood coming out will be exposed to air when nurse Bleeding finger is on the needle

Wet blood got on needle because air is always present and cannot be blocked

Because air is a gas and blood is liquid

So air being a gas can enter into any space before blood can

So this way I won’t have to fear the nurse bleeding finger if Nurse has hiv hepatitis b c with the finger on the needle
Because air will kill all virus even with the nurse bleeding finger on the needle pressed and nurse doesn’t remove the finger

If we assume nurse has hiv hepatitis b c

So when the needle is inserted in my arm for blood draw even I fear wet blood was on it and nurse never removed the finger

So what hiv hepatitis b c would be dead

2) I just want to know also that it’s okay for nurse to twist the cap and then remove the needle cap

No risk or Harm in that the cap won’t break or anything like that

And also nurse around the world do this like twist cap and remove the needle cap also ?

Only these two things and I’m done I can go for blood draw anytime
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
And my mission when I go for blood draw I report back to you also

But I just need to practice these two points so that during blood draw they will be on my tips !

1. Yes, any virus would be dead, as I have said for days.

2. Any method for removing the cap is fine. The strength of the cap is irrelevant. Even if the cap is defective and is weakened, it is fine for the nurse to remove the cap by whatever method is easiest for the nurse..

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well yes for days i have been telling myself

That if nurse Bleeding finger if pressed on needle / if finger is on the needle

Any new blood Won’t be exposed to air so the blood coming out would be alive for hiv hepatitis b c . Because of nurse finger blocking new air coming

For the bleeding finger

But the viruses hiv hepatitis b. C will be dead !
Because just my applying pressure on needle with finger or putting a finger on Surface it needle

Air will be able to enter and the new blood coming out from nurse finger will be exposed to air

So you understood my concern what my fear was and how we have now told that air would exposure would be there

With the finger on the needle and wet blood got on needle and nurse never removes the bleeding finger from the external needle

But still air access will be there

I hope you understood my fear ! And how I CORRECTED it

2) you say nurse can remove any method easy

When I go for blood draw should I tell nurse to pull the cap and not twist it ?

Or i just want to know that twisting the cap and removing the cap is something normal

Twisting the cap does no damage to the cap or risk chance of prick like fingers going through the cap if cap gets damaged by twisting it .

So I can let nurse twist the cap and remove the cap out slowly from needle

Then I think I can have blood draw for sure
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I think I’m almost ready for blood draw .

And also whenever I reply I want to talk about the fear first that I think air will get blocked which is wrong if nurse finger is on the needle . Which is wrong
That helps me a lot

I want to go for blood draw this week

The method of removal of the cap has nothing to do with whether nurses prick themselves. Nurses can prick themselves regardless of how the cap is removed.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
1) so doc as I said I wanted to mention the fear that if nurse finger bleeding finger is ON THE needle . The fear is that since finger is on the needle the new blood won’t be exposed to air . So hiv hepatitis b c will be alive this thought is completely wrong

And the correct answer is since air is a gas it will be able to enter and the new blood will be exposed To air even with the bleeding finger is on the needle .

Just by pressing the bleeding finger can never block air access there will always be air .

So you got how I mention my fear and how I’m correcting it at same time

2) so doc you say any method is fine

So the method I’m talking about is nurse twisting the cap .the cap will get a bit loose and then nurse removes the cap

So you have done this method at your clinic as well ? Every nurse on the planet has done this method .

Just to let you know this needle cap is the cap that covers the needle it looks like this

That’s the cap with the needle is she .

Basically I’m asking cap cannot get damaged or it’s no risk twisting the cap
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This is all assuming nurse has hiv hepatitis b c
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
So only these two points do you think i can go for blood draw by remembering these two points which I can practice with you

1) was already answered above.

2) Different nurses may use different methods, but any method is fine. As I noted above, the cap may be defective, and it is irrelevant that it may be defective, but the method of removal will not make it defective.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay so I want to just talk about

The point of fear where I think nurse finger would be this a must so that I completely VISUalise it

See pic one and two where we pic one is the other hand that nurse will remove because nurse doesn’t insert needle with two hands

And second is time during insertion which is the main thing

So that when I go for blood draw I don’t make excuses. Later on

1) So fear as mentioned is if nurse finger is on the needle /and remains remains pressed on needle the new new blood won’t be exposed to air and hence hiv hepatitis b c would be alive this is wrong completely WRONG

We have to say and ACCEPT that even with nurse finger bleeding finger is on the needle and wet blood on needle is will be exposed to air

Reason 1) Because air is a gas and blood is liquid

2) so both these points when needle is inserted I fear wet blood on it and needle got pushed in me with nurse finger on the needle with wet blood on needle
That blood will be exposed To air

3) my worry of Nurse finger blocking air access to the new blood is incorrect .

Air will always be there so there hiv hepatitis b c will be dead

So can you see these TWO PICS for me

And I want to finish this and I want to go for blooddraw in next 48 hours
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you see both these points of fears this is one
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
And this is two
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I want to visualise both these points if one thinks nurse finger is on the needle pressed .
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
4) for the cap well I just let nurse twist the cap and remove it no big deal it’s normal ?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
And also I have option of new consult so you can give me full push but don’t want to drain myself I must ACT and go for blood draw
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Drain as in typing but would require more words from you and surely I can kill this and leave for blood draw I just want to go do it

How is any of this different than what we have already discussed?

Do not repeat the whole thing.

I only want you to ask about whatever is different than what we have already discussed.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes the time has come to now go and do the blood draw

So I want both these things

Visualise the moment like this point
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
And this one
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
For the cap you can just tell me it’s okay to let nurse twist the cap and remove it that would be fine I’ll remember that
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I also wanted to ask like even if needle penetrates my skin the blood won’t be able to enter ?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
So I can open a new consult and I want visualise with picture So that when this happens I remember you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Like I wanted to know like even if blood is on the external part of needle . Once needle enters the blood won’t be able to enter my body ? Like

Basically I have never heard of anyone being Afraid of external part of needles

I asked you how any of this is different than what we have already discussed, and you did not answer that.

Instead, you posted 5 times and 2 pictures that we have already discussed.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Oh doc I would like to go for blood draw now

So it’s very important for me to visualise it now would you like me to open new consult

I want to show the point that bugs me during blood draw

So that when I go on the day I have visualised it so can I open new consult and you can visualise it with me

And like push me
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hold on I’ll rate the answer and we can push it to the next so that I can’t waste time now thank you

OK