Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I got recently tested for testosterone and level is 170

Hi Doc,I got recently tested for testosterone and level is 170 which is low. What should i fo? How common is it? Can i father a child? Can i get my wife pregnant?Little backgtound: i went to see my PCP because when i was having sex with my wife i used to loose my erection as soon as i applied lube ( which was cold). My PCP said its normal but asked me to take testosterone test. I gave my blood at 1:30 pm. I read as the day progresses testosterone level decreases and thr best time for test is early in the morning.
Also i had steroid injection for nummular dermatatis on nov 13 and blood drawn for testosterone on nov 22. Can this affect my testosterone levels?
Is my result accurate?

Hello

This is Dr. Dago. I'm board certified.
I have over 10 years of experience.
I understand your concerns.
Do you have any other medical conditions?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You there doc?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can i get Dr. Love
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can someone reply???
Hello welcome to JustAnswer,my name is Dr Wajahat Baig,Iam a qualified Medical Specialist.
Respected customer Iam not sure whether Dr Love is available now to answer you or not.
If you want to proceed , I can assist you further
Regarding your question, your testosterone levels are low , we need to check Free testosterone, total testosterone and SHBG levels.
Yes To check testosterone best time is morning.
Steroids can affect testosterone levels but they increase the levels.
Yes you can father a child if you don't feel any sexual related problems like erectile dysfunction or pre mature ejaculation.
With cold erection finishes and its normal
Regarding testosterone replacement it's only done when free and total testosterone is low ,with symptoms of sexual dysfunction.Replacement is done usually by intramuscular injections.
If there are no symptoms, replacement is not indicated and only natural food are suggested that increase testosterone levels

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

The other expert is correct that the usual next step would be to repeat the level. You also read correctly that a morning test is more accurate. many doctors will go ahead and perform a first test whenever a patient is in the office, but when the test is repeated, the repeat test will purposely be done in the morning.

A low testosterone is fairly common as men get older. It is less common in young men, although it can occur at any age.

Some men with a low testosterone have issues with fertility, but it is not always a problem.

Anti-inflammatory steroids can suppress testosterone levels, but the effect would typically have worn off by the test done 9 days later.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know. If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How common is low T at this age(28)? I am having regular erections. Does vaping juul cause low T or does excess masturbation cause low T? What is the accuracy of my test done at 1:30 pm?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Or smoking cigarettes?

I do not know the specific prevalence rates for men in their 20's. or the specific accuracy of a test done at 1:30.

There are no studies on vaping and any potential effect on testosterone levels. But there is evidence that smoking cigarettes increases the risk of having a low testosterone.

Excessive masturbation does not decrease testosterone levels.

I tried to find some studies that look at the prevalence of low testosterone in young men, and all the studies I can find quickly only looked at prevalence by age beginning at age 40. For these studies, the prevalence started at about 2%. The prevalence in younger men would be lower, but the specific prevalence was not included.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is this a serious condition? I am really stressed out and cant concentrate on anything. Am i overreacting? Will it be cured?

Of course, until the labs are rechecked, it is not yet known whether you have this condition.

But if the repeat test is similar, the condition is not serious from the perspective that it is not life threatening in the short term. But it is something that warrants treatment and should not be ignored.

There is no reason to be stressing out about it.

Treatment is able to control the condition, even though it is not considered a cure.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The thing i am confused with is i am getting regular erections in a day. Whenever i think something sexual i am getting erection.

Which doctor should i consult urologist or endocrinologist?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am going for blood test again tomorrow morning at 9:30 am. Is this time good enough to get accurate results?

Many men with a low testosterone have normal erections. The presence or absence of any symptom can occur. While there are a variety of symptoms that can occur with low testosterone, there is no symptom that is always present.

Either a Urologist or an Endocrinologist can provide care for this, but most people see an Endocrinologist.

Yes, 9:30 AM will generate food results.

.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My PCP had ordered total and free testosterone test. I will be giving blood tomorrow. I hope my testosterone levels are normal. I pray to God.

Yes, those are the appropriate tests to order.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi doc, if i masturbate today will it affect the test tomorrow. From morning i feel like masturbating but worried it might affect the test. My PCP will be on vacation this whole week. My bad luck i have to wait till monday to know the results.

No, masturbation will not affect the results.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Forgot to ask. Will antibiotic (keflex) or antihistamine lower T. I was using them 14 days prior to getting tested

No, they would not affect testosterone levels.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is it mandatory to have morning wood?

No. It is common, but not mandatory. As long as you are having normal erections for sexual encounters, doctor typically would not even ask about erections upon awakening.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I woke up at 5:30 am today due to tension. Will this affect the test results?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Just gave blood. Results wont be in till monday. Thanks for answering all my questions with patience. Only thing i can do till then is to pray to God. I hope when i update you on monday about my results it will be good news. Thanks once again. Take care.

I am sorry for the delay, but I had to step away from the computer.

Stress/anxiety would not affect the results.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello doctor, i had the urge to masturbate today. So while masturbating my penis was hard but as i was about to ejaculate and also sometimes in between my penis used to go to semi erection or soft state. Should I be worreid? I am under lot of stress and anxiety past 1 week.

No, this is likely related to the stress and anxiety, so try not to worry while awaiting the lab results.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks. Lets say my results came back as low. What will the treatment for this? We are planning to start a family early next year and i read online that Testosterone Replacement Therapy actually causes infertility.

If you want to try for a family, then you need to discuss this with your doctor, and treatment for the low testosterone may wait until you and your wife gets pregnant.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok so even with low testosterone my wife can get pregnant?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry doctor, i forgot to ask you one main thing. I know you said masturbation doesnt cause ED or low T but what about porn? Does watching porn and masturbating has any effects? I used to watch porn and masturbate 2-3 times a week. Do you think it might have caused anything?

Low testosterone may or may not cause a low sperm count. Like the symptoms that I referenced earlier, any manifestation of a low testosterone will only happen in a percentage of men with a low testosterone. When you have the discussion with your doctor, your doctor may order a semen analysis.

There is no evidence that porn cause low testosterone levels.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Lets say if my testosterone levels are normal (hopefully they are i pray to God) then all this shit i am going through is because of stress?

Yes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. I hope my levels are normal. I am unable to concentrate on anything because of this. I have to wait till monday. And i dont know how i will react if my results are not normal.

It is better to try to relax and wait and see than to fret over the long weekend.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ya i am trying to but my mind goes there. I read somewhere that the mean difference in T levrels is around 179 to 209 when the test is taken in morning compared to afternoon. Is that right? What are thr chances my T levels will be higher?

Studies have shown some variability, but even that is more complicated. Men that have low testosterone in the morning typically have less of a decrease in the afternoon compared to people with a normal testosterone in the morning. That is why it is difficult to predict the likelihood that your morning level will be normal.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi doctor, quick question. Last night i relaxed and slept peacefully and today morning i had morning wood couple of times.it means physically everything is fine just that i am taking too much stress?

Yes, it could be that you have been having manifestations of stress, but the morning erection does not mean anything about the level that is pending. As we discussed, some men with a low testosterone have no problems with erections, so having a normal erection does not mean that the testosterone level is normal.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
At least does it mean its not ED?

As we discussed above, the fact that you have regular erections already said that you were not having erectile dysfunction.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you Sir. Atleast some peace of mind.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
One final question and i wont disturb you till monday hopefully. I am trying get erection even though i am not in mood just to make sure i am getting erections. But im not getting erections. Is it normal? Am i doing it unnecessarily? I am getting erections in morning and while sleeping

It is normal to not get an erection when you are not in the mood. It is also common to not get an erection when you are pressuring yourself to get an erection, called performance anxiety.

You need to relax and just let it happen when the mood is right.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think its because of stress and anxiety right?

Correct, and not being in the mood, but all these things are inter-related. The stress and anxiety also may contribute to not being in the mood.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
How to get rid of performance anxiety without any medication? Any home remedies?

Yes, try to relax and just let it happen when the mood is right, as i said above.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello doctor, I have bad news. My results came back. My free testosterone is 54 pg/ml and total is 173. What does this mean?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
You there doctor?

What is the normal range for free testosterone in this lab?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I dont know. But online it said 32-168. I called my pcp but he is out of office so receptionist told me the results but didnt tell me if its normal or not
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Even free testosterone is low?

There are slightly different methods for assays of free testosterone, and the normal range varies according to the method, so the result is only meaningful when compared to the normal range for that lab.

If the normal range for that lab is 32-168, then a result of 54 is within the normal range, so it is not low.

When the total testosterone is low and the free testosterone is normal, that means that you make a different amount of the protein that carries testosterone, which is not really a problem, other than it affects the lab tests. There is no need to do anything other than general good health habits -eating a healthy diet, getting regular exercise, and maintaining ideal body weight.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok. I am overweigh. My BMI is 28. So if i bring my BMI to less than 25 and maintain good health then it will be normal? Also should i take any supplements like ZINC, Fenugreek, D-Aspharic, ashwangandha?

Yes, actually being overweight is one of the leading causes of altered levels of the protein that carries testosterone.

There are actually many other adverse health effects of being overweight that are more of an issue than the effect on this protein, so anyone should strive to achieve ideal body weight, but if this result provides motivation to lose weight, that is fine.

There is no evidence that these supplements will directly help with these protein levels. There is some suggestion that they may help with weight loss, but more research is needed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have to wait till monday to know the normal range. But based on online ranges the max lower limit i saw was 47 pg/ml. Do you know any other ranges?

Since the range varies in different labs, I do not even try to remember normal ranges.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This same lab had normal range for total testosterone as 400-1150.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If it helps the lab is ASCENSION labs

Neither tells me what their normal range is for free testosterone.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok i will wait till monday and let you know. But if free testosterone is in normal range then i dont have to worry?

Correct

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is the protein you are talking about “Albumin”
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Because in my annual physical done 10 days ago, my Albumnin and A/G ratio both are normal.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You there doctor?

Not really. While testosterone does partly bind to albumin, the protein that I reference above is a specific protein that carries testosterone and similar substances, called sex hormone binding globulin, But the "globulin" on the lab report that is next to the albumin is the total of a long list of globulins, so does not reflect the sex hormone binding globulin.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
One quick question doctor. I am not getting hard erection when getting intimate with my wife. I am getting erection but its not completely hard. I had to manually stimulate myself to get hard erection. Is it normal? Is it related to stress?

Yes, it is likely related to stress.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am having normal hard erections. So only thing i should do right now is to relax and avoid stress since there is nothing wrong with my testosterone. Only thing to do is maintain good diet and loose some weight. No need to consult a doctor.

Is my summary right doctor?

Correct, if the normal range for this lab is what you found online.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Even if its low normal?

If it is low normal, yes.

If it is borderline, the doctor may want to repeat it after 4-6 weeks. But that is different than low normal.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thanks doctor
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If 47-244 is the range then am i border line or low normal? Mine is 54.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
You there doctor ?

We do not need to be discussing hypothetical ranges.

Once you know the range, then we can discuss it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Not hypothetical, want to know the difference between borderline and low normal

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi doctor, according my lab normal range for free t is 49-212 and my level is 53. So is my free t in normal range? Should i be worried since its in low normal? Should i visit endocrinologist or am i good?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
In my report, it said its normal.

Yes, your free testosterone level is low normal, so you should not be worried. There is no need to see an Endocrinologist.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks doctor. Finally to summarize,

1. I should not any have any issue related to my sexual health. Anything that is there is mostly likely dur to stress and anxiety.
2. As long as my free t is in normal range i dont have to worry about total t. It does not affect my health
3. It can also be false total t as my SHBG can be low
4. Simply maintian good lifestyle and excercise regularly.
5. No need to see endocrinologist or urologist for low T

Any thing wrong in my summary doc?

All that is correct.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks doctor. I’m sorry i have been asking you lot of questions. You have answered with patience. You are the best. Thanks once again.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Doctor, i think i made a mistake. I went to endocrinologist today and he ordered all the hormones tests. Did i make a mistake? Do you think any of these tests will be abnormal? I think i am getting stressed again.

You cannot second guess your decision after the fact. You need to wait until you get the results.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi doctor, i forgot to mention. I am using triamcinolone acetonide cream for a long time. I read online that if we use this cream for a long time or on larger areas on body it will cause loss of interest in sex. Is it true? I have nummular dermatitis all over my body. So i am applying it all over my body. I think sometimes its touching my penis as well. What are the implications of using this cream long term? Can it have effrcts on testosterone?

Yes, it can affect libido, but it is a direct effect of systemic steroids, not because of an effect on testosterone levels.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Should i stop using it?
Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Do you think it will affect any of my blood tests tomorrow? FSH, LH, A1c, Ferretin, prolactin?

I cannot determine whether you should stop it over the internet. That is something that you need to discuss with your doctor. And the discussion also needs to include the status of your dermatitis and alternative treatment for the dermatitis.

It will not affect these blood tests.

Customer: replied 24 hours ago.
Ok thank you.