Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I recently had a psoriasis flare up, I went to the doctor

Hi I recently had a psoriasis flare up, I went to the doctor and he gave me a bunch of cortisone shots all over my body and put me on Prednisone. One of the cortisone shots was given to me in my breast I noticed that I have gone down in size. Is that normal? And if so does it have to do with the cortisone or prednisone?
Thank you in advance

Hello -

That isn't normal.

However it is known that a steroid injection can cause fat to atrophy, and that may be why the fat in the breast has "shrunk" as a result of the injection.

Ideally this will get better with time.

This is called "lipoatrophy" after steroid injection.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for your response. To what are you referring to that it is not normal? That I got the shot in my breast or that I went down in size?

Both are unusual.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
As far as the reduction in size is that temporary or permanent?

Ideally temporary, as most people notice return after a few months.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is there any other concern in regards to lipoatrophy? And in how long can I expect to get back to normal?

No other concerns. Ideally you would see return of this area slowly over 3-6 months.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok thank you for your time. Just one more question. Is there any natural supplements you would recommend to help with psoriasis?

Vitamin D seems to help with psoriasis.