Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I am a 48 year old male. For the past 5 months I've had

Hello,I am a 48 year old male.For the past 5 months I've had sensations in both legs. No numbness, but some tingling in the back and sides of my calves up to the back of my thighs and some intermittent pins and needles in the bottom of both feet. I also have some nerve pain in my middle back and forearms.Googling for these symptoms was a mistake as it just convinced me that I had MS.I have been to a neurologist and physiatrist and both have indicated they do not believe that I have a neurological issues. As far as imaging, I have had an MRI of my brain (no contrast) and an MRI of my lumbar spine (no contrast) and both showed no evidence of lesions. The lumbar spine MRI showed a moderate bulging disk and moderate spinal stenosis in the L5/I4 area.The MRI findings in my back have been given as the diagnosis for the sensations I have in my legs. I do have nerve damage from carpel tunnel which has been given as the diagnosis of the tingling in my hands. All the stress of believing I have MS has ramped up my anxiety (which has put my nervous system on edge) so that has been given as the diagnosis of the nerve pain in my back and forearms.I'm getting to the point where I am comfortable with that diagnosis, but I have 2 questions:1) Given that I have a clean brain MRI and lower lumbar MRI, how unlikely would it be that I do on fact have lesions in either the thoracic or cervical areas of my spine ?2) The one thing that almost every doctor I've spoken with has said is that my symptoms do not present as MS. Given my age (which I know is old for the onset of MS) how would MS present in it's early stages ?As I mentioned, anxiety certainly is playing a role in augmenting the nerve sensations I'm experiencing, which is why learning what sensations would be normal (or at least normal for me given the back and carpel tunnel issues I have) versus sensations that I should be concerned about will be helpful in not giving these nerve sensations more meaning than I need to.Sorry for the long post and thanks so much for your time on this
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
Thank you for giving me complete information.

1. The disc protrusion might explain your peripheral neuropathy symptoms due to pinched nerve.

2. Some of the most common symptoms include:

fatigue
vision problems
numbness and tingling
muscle spasms, stiffness and weakness
mobility problems
pain
problems with thinking, learning and planning
depression and anxiety
sexual problems
bladder problems
bowel problems
speech and swallowing difficulties
Most people with MS only have a few of these symptoms.

With your MRI brain and spine being completely normal I do not think we need to consider multiple sclerosis here.

I think you need neuro vitamins for 3 months for betterment of your symptoms.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani
I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.
Kind regards - Dr Sumanth Amperayani