Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I am unsure when to take a pregnancy test or if the symptoms

Hi, so I am unsure when to take a pregnancy test or if the symptoms I’m feeling are due to previous birth control
JA: The OB/GYN Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Are you using any contraceptives? When did your last period begin?
Customer: No contraceptives. I stopped my oral birth control about 2 weeks ago. My last period ranged from oct 1-5
JA: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: Last test was 2 years ago. All normal. No abnormal findings. No discomfort
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: none

Hello, my name is Dr Stan, I am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry you are concerned about a possible pregnancy. You should wait 8-10 days after a missed period to take a urine pregnancy test. Since you stopped your birth control, your next period may not follow your normal schedule. May I suggest you wait another 5-7 days before taking a pregnancy test. This way, you will be able to get accurate results.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sounds good. Thank you.

You are welcome.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Another question actually: The light bleeding I had right after stopping the birth control, would that be considered my normal period cycle or a withdrawal type

It could be either, but most likely withdrawal bleeding especially if it lasted 1-2 days only.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Does the withdrawal bleeding effect my regular cycle majorly?

Abruptly stopping your birth control pills will affect the timing and duration of your periods possibly for 2-3 cycles. There is no specific way to determine if this is your period or just "spotting" from hormonal withdrawal. The only way to tell is to wait another 5-7 days and if you don't get a period, then take a pregnancy test.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok. I will definitely do that. Also, being that a stopped abruptly, how dramatically did that affect my pregnancy probability

That would depend on when you had unprotected intercouse in relation to stopping your pills. You would typically lose pregnancy protection 48-72 hours after stopping and again depending on where you were in your cycle regarding ovulation. This is a question that cannot be fully and accurately answered for you. Your chance of pregnancy is very low, but minimally possible.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I understand. Thank you for answering my questions!

Glad to help.