Thomas Day
Thomas Day,
Experience:  Physician at Kaiser Permanente
100080988

I have 2 styes on the same eye-- one on the upper lid, one

Hi,I have 2 styes on the same eye-- one on the upper lid, one on the lower.The inside of the lid is red.I have some discharge every morning.a month ago my GP prescribed Tobradex ointment and put me on a week of antibiotics -- the eye became less red, but the styes have remained.I've tried hot compresses, but hasn't made much of a difference.It has not affected my eyesight..

Greetings, thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will be assisting you. To make sure I don’t miss anything please give me a moment to review your question.

Thanks for the great history. I'm sorry you're suffering with these symptoms. Typically, topical antibiotics do not resolve stye's though they are occasionally used. Hot compress and time is usually the best treatment especially since it's not affecting your vision. Is there any pain?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks for your response. Just to clarify, besides the topical antibiotic, I took a week of oral antibiotics.the symptoms definitely improved after that but have since reverted back to become bigger and redder..No, there is no pain but my eye looks very unsightly (pardon the pun)

Ok, at least you still have your sense of humor :). Stye's can be drained by an eye care specialist. If it's affecting your quality of life I would recommend scheduling and appointment with a specialist. Otherwise you could continue with the hot compresses (10 minutes 3x/day).

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thanks, I'll keep trying the compresses for a while. it's just strange that the problem has persisted for so long and seems to be worsening. must be a bacterial infection.. I pay out of pocket for medical care, so I'd like to avoid unnecessary doctor visits..

Good point. Yes, stye's can be quite stubborn and/or chronic. It's not your fault and has no real rhyme or reason.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.