Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

Our 10 years old daughter has epilepsy. About 3 weeks ago

Hello! Our 10 years old daughter has epilepsy. About 3 weeks ago she had grand seizure. She is taking regularly Keppra 500 mg and Rivotril 0,5 mg. On Sunday we're planning to fly to Thailnd (from Slovenia!), Flight takes about 2 x 6 housr (stop in Dubai). I've booked flight in August 2018. Now i'm not sure that was good idea.
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: NO, she is taking Keprra now for 1 year and we strated with Rivotrol about 2 mounts ago. We are enlarging doze, so she is confused and sleepy..
JA: Anything else in your daughter's medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: In past year she had 3 grand seizures but often (about 10-15 per day) she has got seizure like absence.

Hello , i am Dr Saleem . Welcome to JustAnswer . I will be answering your shortly .

Did she miss a dose before the latest seizure episode? Sorry to know about her struggle with epilepsy . Has the dose been readjusted following the seizure?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, she was under stress because of school

Ok . Having epilepsy does not usually prevent people from being able to travel by air. However, some people’s seizures are triggered by being very tired (which could happen because of long journeys or ‘jet lag’). Seizures can also be triggered by excitement or anxiety, which can affect some people when they are flying. If she as been stable for most of the time on these medicines then you may go ahead . Just keep the dosages in mind and need to take them as per time zones .It means that if you take medication at regular intervals, and are travelling to a different time zone, then you may need to gradually adjust when you take your medication, so that you can take it at an appropriate time of day.

I wish you a safe travel ahead.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for answer! I would like just to ask about possibility of grand seizure during the flight. What to do in this case? We'll be on the plane 2 x 6 hours.

Should discuss the use of rectal medication (for example, Valium) with your child's doctor, give the child the correct dose. Other option could be Intra muscular injection.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Please do remember to reward credit for the consult by leaving a positive rating.

Stay blessed,

Best regards,

Dr Saleem

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we have medicine Epistatus which interrupt the seizure...i'm only afraid if that happens in the plane at 10 000m heights

Height as such isnt a risk factor for triggering a seizure but managing it in plane can be an issue . Still i would say it should be ok to go

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you! Regards,