Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
101446932

My lips are swollen and under my chin. I have hives on my

Customer Question

My lips are swollen and under my chin. I have hives on my arms, legs, back. I have qvar and a rescue inhaler. I took a Claritin and a Zantac. How much of that is safe to take? We have a lot of snow and I want to get this under control without going to ER
JA: When did you start using Claritin? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I take it as needed. Usually one a day but with the hives over the past couple of days I’ve taken one Claritin and one Zantac together in the morning and at night
JA: Have you seen a doctor about hives?
Customer: Not lately. I haven’t had them since 2015. Back then she told me to take Claritin and Zantac. But I took it about 90 mins ago I think. So I’m wondering would it be safe to take more?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have asthma. This is new since 2015 and was gone for a couple years then came back a year ago. Im 54 female nvr go to doc for anything til now
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Greg replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** am a board certified physician, and would be happy to help you with your health concern today. Please give me a few minutes to read, and respond to your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Greg replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering from an allergic reaction. You can take the claritin twice daily (10 mg each, or 20 mg total per day). You can also take the Zantac twice daily. If you still having no significant improvement by tomorrow, I would recommend that you consider being seen by a doctor to discuss prescription treatment which will work more effectively.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just need to know if it’s safe to take more Claritin and Zantac again, or maybe Benadryl on top of it. Like, I want to get through the night I’m worried about the swelling in my face and I want something that will gelp
Expert:  Dr. Greg replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you can take all of the medications together to help resolve the allergic reaction faster. You will experience drowsiness, but the side effects will resolve by the morning.