Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Physican with over 15 years experience
75196502

I had some symptoms of what I thought was an STD, I got a

Hello, I had some symptoms of what I thought was an STD, I got a full STD check and everything came back negative. I saw clear discharge and had some burning when I urinated. My doctor decided I should take Doxycycline for a week to see if that would help. I took that for a week and now I don'tsee any discharge and I have hardly noticeable burning when I urinate if any. The only thing I notice is the tip of the uretha looks alittle irritated. Im wondering what you think this could be or is it just irritation and it will go away on its own. I also masterbated a few times could that be the reason it still looks red and irritated?
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am here to help you. So that I may best answer you most accurately, can you tell me please, do you see any raw skin, ulceration or bubble like blisters or is the “irritation” just a little redness?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the irritation is not bubble or blistery it is just alittle red
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if i masterbate is does get alittle more red
I see, thank you for that information. Sounds like you were successfully treated for what might have been non-gonococcal, non-chlamydial urethritis, since you had the clear discharge and burning with urination despite testing negative for routine STD’s and it cleared up after the doxycycline. The irritation you described doesn’t sound at all like herpes and is probably just a little mucosal irritation, possibly from vigorous masterbation. Doesn’t sound like anything to worry about, just go easy on the masterbation for a bit and you should be just fine. Any other questions on this matter?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is not herpes because i was also tested for that and it came back negative, so what do you think i should do to clear this up
Is the tip of the urethra where the irritation is itchy or painful, any bleeding?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no bleeding, itching slighting but nothin serious and hardly noticeable pain if any
Glad to hear it. Doesn’t sound like any sort of infection or cut. Possibly just some mild inflammation. You could apply a little hydrocortisone 1% ointment available over the counter. Dab a little maybe twice a day for 2-3 days which should help reduce any mild inflammation. Other than that I’d give it time to settle and heal naturally. Anything else I can answer on this topic?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay i was also told by someone that i could mix the hydrocortisone with clotrimzole 1%
you could. Clotrimazole is an antifungal though. If you had a fungal infection it would be very itchy and might have some whitish discharge. Not necessary in my opinion, but it wouldn’t hurt in any way. Anything else I can answer on this subject?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
should i also not be masturbating at all and should i apply it directly on the tip?
I’d rest maybe for a few days. And yes, you can apply it to the tip if that’s where the irritation is located.Have I answered your question to your satisfaction?
Any other questions on this issue?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
one more question since all my std test came back negative, what do you think was the problem when i first got the redness and irritaition and had some discharge before the doxcycline cleared that, also the redness was there for about a month when first saw the discharge
The most likely reason was what’s called non-gonococcal, non-chlamydial urethritis. Generally this is caused by some STD bacteria that isn’t readily tested for. One particular organism is known as mycoplasma genitalium. The doxycycline likely took care of that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay so this redness is normal to happen?
It can be, yes. The tip of the urethra is easily irritated from touch, masterbation, contact with underwear etc.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay so the hydrocorisone so clear that up
it should.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thank you!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello doctor Han, I talked to you the other day about my symptoms if you could look at a picture of it to tell me if what you said what correct that would be great

Sure, you can upload the picture here and I'd be happy to review it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
image 1
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
image 2

Got your pictures and reviewed them. I don't see anything obvious like any sort of wound, infection, STD or yeast. Looks to me like mild inflammation/irritation, and non-specific. I think the hydrocortisone used sparingly for a few days should help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay so no need to see another doctor?
Not right now, now. Give it a few days to a week. If things worsen or don’t improve I’d consider consulting a dermatologist.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
also I do feel a very mild burn when im done urinating sometimes, is that normal with mild inflimation
because the urinate stream comes into contact with the affected skin/urethra, that’s why you feel it. Should resolve if/when the inflamed/irritated area improves
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay, in your opinion you think this will improve without having to see a doctor?
Good possibility, yes.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thank you!