Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor with 9 years of experience in family medicine, pediatrics, sexually transmitted diseases, dermatology, gynecology, general surgery and traumatology
99147888

It feels like my chest needs to pop. Under my left breast? I

It feels like my chest needs to pop. Under my left breast? I woke up yesterday with a pulling pain when I moved to the side or turned like a pulled muscle under my left breast. It feels like it needs to pop or something. What causes this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been coughing a bit lately but I get it when I woke up the pulling feeling so I’m not sure if I slept on it wrong? I’m thinking the worst like a tumor or something in the chest. I had a chest X-ray in December that was normal

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

How old are you?
Since when do you have these symptoms?
Have you done any recent physical activity?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
31 Female. Since yesterday morning. Don’t feel anything if I’m sitting or walking just when I turn a certain way

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok

Dear friend, because of the symptoms you describe, it is a costochondritis that generates intercostal neuralgia,
Just below each rib and neck and all ribs (just below the breast) run nerves, which by effect of the contraction of intercostal muscles during breathing are compressed and the usual efforts to get out of bed or chair and even when lifting objects increases their contraction with the consequent compression of the nerves generating this pain and inflammation characteristic of the area, depending on the intensity at some point you can even feel that lack of breath and can extend to the affected arm in the form of shock or to the stomach, now this is temporary, but you need medication and rest, you should not lift any heavy objects. Therefore, you should not be alarmed, but stress and anxiety make it worse, as it is the nerves that are affected.
The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates, which consists of stretching, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example, sitting at the table. Since all this prevents muscle contractures, avoiding neural compression.

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesics such as Diclofenac 50 mg(1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days plus a muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine 2 mg(1) one tablet at night for 10 days as it generates a little sleep Besides the single dose of intramuscular complex b12 1, this will alleviate symptoms but should reduce stress.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have bad anxiety so I am worrying it’s a tumor or something or like a pulmonary embolism
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it be from my coughing too? It doesn’t hurt when coughing. Just turning side to side

A cough obviously generates an abrupt muscular contraction and can generate your current symptoms, but you do not have to worry about a tumor because it also has a December x-ray.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok and no pulmonary embolisms

No, it's not a pulmonary embolism.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok ty. How long can it last? I have fibromyalgia too

This may last a few weeks but you must improve your anxiety and make the recommendations I have suggested.

You’re welcome, I hope this information will be helpful. It's been a privilege to assist you.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you