Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

Having some symptoms curious about. The left side of my back

Hi, having some symptoms curious about
JA: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: The left side of my back will have significant muscle spasms from under my scapula to just above my waste on my right side. It happens if I stand still for more than 5 minutes or I wake up having the spasms. It's been going on for years only worsening now. I take Robaxin occasionally for it. Ibuprofen helps.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the spasms?
Customer: Yes, that's why I take robaxin, I had cervical surgery in 2000 for severe ruptured disc but no problems with that since surgery, just limited range of motion looking to my right which I do often because I'm a home health nurse in a city.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've occasionally had sensations of vibration while sitting down but I can't identify where it is originating from. No pain but feels like whatever I'm sitting on is vibrating, not so much my body but it has to be me.

Have you had a recent MRI of the cervical spine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, can I do an MRI if I have titanium plate and screws un my neck?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The spasms are only on my right side and down to right waist
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is a daily occurrence, the vibrating sensation 3 to 4 time a year.

Okay thanks. Yes you can have a MRI with titanium plate and screws because the titanium itself is not magnetic in nature. Given your history of the previous cervical spine issues, I would want you to make sure that you do not have any issues with spinal cord compression in the cervical spine. Theoretically, pressure on the spinal cord could cause the unusual sensations that radiates down through your chest area.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also have chronic migraines but I'm functional 98% of the time. I've had them since I was a child. I'm only mentioning these symptoms because they seem neuro based. Otherwise I'm healthy and take estradiol daily.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not my chest at all. The muscle spasm is specifically located, same muscle and as long as I'm not standing still long it's not usually an issue. Vibration see.s seperate from my body, like my phone is buzzing the seat, not an internal feeling.

Okay, when I say chest area I actually referred to the thoracic area, which includes from your scapula down to above your waist area, as symptoms in that area could be related to issues with the spinal cord. Unusual sensations that you are feeling are likely related to nerve related issues, and so further evaluation with a neurologist maybe helpful.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your input. I'm on a contract assignment, when I get home I will follow up with my doctor.

Great, best of luck to you.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!