Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

If I drink one glass of red wine and one glass of champagne

If I drink one glass of red wine and one glass of champagne on January 29, 2019 at around 8 PM and I did not finish either glass will I pass an ETG test on February 8
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about the redness?
Customer: If I drink one glass of red wine and one glass of champagne on January 29, 2019 at around 8 PM and I did not finish either glass will I pass an ETG test on February 8
JA: Have you seen a doctor about the redness?
Customer: If I drink one glass of wine and one glass of champagne on January 29, 2019 at around 8 PM well I passed my ETG test on February 8, 2019
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually, the simple answer here is that YES you will be able to pass an EtG test quite easily in this scenario. An EtG test is only able to reliably detect alcohol use the last 80 hours and in some cases up to 105 hours after the last use. In your case, it has been more than ten days since you had alcohol so you will NOT have a positive EtG test at all. EtG tests CANNOT detect alcohol in your system beyond 5 days, the only test which may be able to pick up on alcohol here is a hair follicle test or a pETH test. A hair follicle test would be able to detect alcohol use in the last 3 months and a pETH test in the last three weeks HOWEVER even those two tests are unlikely to pick up on any alcohol use in your case as they are NOT designed to pick up on alcohol use in this small amount, they are more geared towards picking up on large amounts of alcohol consumption.

In short, NO the EtG test will NOT pick up on alcohol use in this scenario.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/