Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Medical Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician
96392890

I broke up a dog fight and received a few bites. No I just

I broke up a dog fight and received a few bites
JA: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: No I just cleaned and rinsed. Applied some bacitracin and neosporin. Just happened about 30 minutes ago
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: I haven’t
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope
Most dog bites in the US don’t get infected if you cleaned them and as long as you have had your last tetanus shot in the past 5 years you don’t need to update that. How deep were these bites?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Most of them are superficial, there’s on on my middle finger that is decent, bleeding has stopped for the most part as well. I had a tetanus about 2 months ago due to a knife wound. Can’t catch a break haha
One good option is soaking the deeper wound in epsom salt. Works as a great antiseptic. Avoid any topical antibacterial ointments.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, so you wouldn’t recommend neosporin or a bacitracin than wrap?
Those topical antibiotic ointments don’t fight the specific bacteria in dog saliva and tend to decrease the oxygen exposure you need to fight those infections.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thank you I’ll see if I can find some. Any other recommendations?
Since it happened recently this should suffice and keep it from getting infected.