Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I am 73 years and have mild osteopenia (mild bone loss) and

I am 73 years and have mild osteopenia (mild bone loss) and arthritis. I am considering purchasing an exercise type machine which is called whole body vibration. They vary in price from high to low and wonder if anyone has any knowledge about these machines. They seem to be very helpful with many things. Any thoughts?

Hello -

As long as you don't have serious heart issues, dizziness / issues with falling -- the therapy may be helpful.

It is thought that these types of machines help to preserve bone density (as seen in space, with astronauts).

However, there is no clear data to say which machine may be best. Obviously -- you want to get a machine that works for you, but is not excessively expensive.

Powerplate.com

is probably one of the more reputable (but expensive) companies.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I take Amlodipine 5mg and Lipitor. I also have a family history of heart attack ( father and brother). I am overweight but just looking for additional help health wise. You have got me headed in the right direction. I will get a Reasonably y priced machine and then if it works wonders I will go for a more expensive one.

Great, sounds like a good plan.
Best of luck to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for helping me get on the right track!