Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

I have a raising heart rate at times then it slows down

I have a raising heart rate at times then it slows down .....I daily have chest pain on left side by pectoral muscle .....I am afraid to suffer a heart attack
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, lately I have been very depressed I am fatigued all the time...don't excercise....im 150 pounds and height is 5'1
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: my mom has a-fib....I have seen multiple cardiologist but i am afraid i will suffer a heart attack due to all my anxiety and stress i can only take xanax

Hello -

How old are you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am 47 years old

What kind of testing have the cardiologists done?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have had EKG's every month for the past 2 years, I just had a stress test, echo, a year ago I had a echo, and CT, holter

And if you've had all of those tests done -- why are you worried about a heart attack?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sometimes my EKG's are normal very few times it has come back abnormal but the Dr. says not to worry but I do. My pain is daily and I tend to worry ALOT
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Because like today my arm hurt so bad right where you take your blood pressure and my chest has a sharp pain that comes and goes right on my pectoral muscle then it goes down my breast and under the rib cage all in the left side....my stomach is nauseu's
so my jaw starts hurting I have been feeling these sharp pains since yesterday
the minute it hits me I feel I have something and start panicking

The most reassuring test out of all of these would be the stress test.

That test looks at your heart function with exercise, and if you were going to have a heart attack, they would have seen evidence of poor blood flow to the heart during that test.

The sharp pains that you have in the muscle -- aren't heart related. Sharp and sudden pains aren't typical for heart pain. It can be costochondritis, or a "pinched" nerve in the neck or upper thoracic spine.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my heart rate will raise to 140 and then it comes down to the 40's ....that panics me a lot....I was told I might have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but....I don't take anything for it because I am afraid of medicine

OK, you may have a small issue with your heart rate, but that still wouldn't cause you to have a heart attack.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I took my stress test my blood pressure started at 149 and ended in 200/82 is that normal ....my heart rate when up to 170 but the dr said it was normal
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That I had excercise greater than 85%

With the stress test -- your blood pressure and heart rate will go high -- but your functioning of the heart remained fine -- which is the most important part of the test.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my cholesterol is 191 but my LDL is 112 and my tryglicerodes are high....that wouldn't put me at risk either....
I don't smoke or have diabetes....
Oh I was also told I have an incomplete right bundle branch block ....again I was told not to worry and enjoy life but I am scared
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how can I calm myself down .....and take care of these pains that drain me and depress me a lot
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
of course I start feeling shortness of breath, dizziness,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dr. so its ok for my heart rate to go up to 140 at times I feel my body shaking and super anxious?

It may be helpful for you to discuss further with a psychiatrist, because you have a significant amount of health anxiety.

You've had all of these tests, and they show your heart is functioning normally, so I'd try to take several deep breaths and realize that the experts have told you that you aren't at any additional risk here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not at risk for a heart attack even with my stress or anxiety....I should just calm down and enjoy life?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
See I feel my Dr.'s don't want to worry me so they might be hiding me from the truth .....I was told to take a beta blocker or corlanor to regulate my heart rythm

Yes, enjoy life.

Your doctors wouldn't hide the truth from you. The beta blocker can help to prevent the heart rate from racing (which may have something to do with your anxiety as well).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
which one would you recommend...I am super sensitive with medicine I don't take anything except a small dose of xanax 1/2 of .25

You'd have to ask your family doctor about actual dose recommendations. This is just an informational service online.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
your not a Dr.?

I am a doctor, but I'm not your doctor.

I can't make medication recommendations without knowing your complete health history.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm asking what beta blocker do you recommend.....the least side effects
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if my stress test was normal I should not worry about all these symptoms correct? They are not heart related

That is what I have been saying, your stress test was normal so you shouldn't be worrying.

Metoprolol is a commonly used medication for heart rate.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all the pains I described all caused by muscle or my neck....I do have a herniated disk
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
wow dr. you are good....
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
last question what have you heard about corlanor?

That's for people with heart failure. You don't have anything even close to heart failure.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what do I take for my pains

Advil, Aleve, or tylenol.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Dr. you have a wonderful day

You're welcome.