Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor with 9 years of experience in family medicine, pediatrics, sexually transmitted diseases, dermatology, gynecology, general surgery and traumatology
99147888

I was recently diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus at a

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus at a fairly young age (29) and I'm scared out of my mind and am coping with the news pretty poorly. My results showed that my segment was small and there was no dysplasia, which I've read is good, but I'm still overwhelmed with the fear of cancer. I just want to understand that this is a condition I can still live a long, healthy life with and if being diagnosed younger increases my risk to develop cancer?
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about cancer?
Customer: Hi yes, I was diagnosed already.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about cancer?
Customer: Only the GI who diagnosed me.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear friend, I understand your concern but you must understand that Barrett's Esophagus is not the same as cancer, so you should not think about it.
Obviously, this condition can evolve to cancer in the future but for it you must take measures on your lifestyle and food, in your case that you do not have dysplasia is very good because it is an early stage of esophagus barrett that can be treated in time and avoid complications in the future.
I suggest that you stay in control with your gastroenterologist, in addition, that you initiate the necessary care based on the medication you have been indicated and your diet.
But this condition can be controlled as long as you follow your doctor's orders.

Do you have any question??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much. Do you feel that being diagnosed at a young age increases my risk of developing that cancer or does it simply mean more years of being monitored? Also they've prescribed me with 20 mg of Pantoprazole - do you feel this is sufficient enough for a dosage?

You should not be alarmed by your age, the good thing is that it was detected early what prevents it from developing into cancer in the future.
That dose is enough but the most important thing is your diet.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask. I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regards.