Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I’ve tested negative on 1/18/19 for bacterial infection or

I’ve tested negative on 1/18/19 for bacterial infection or std’s. I started exhibiting symptoms on the 14th after a bachelors party the previous weekend where I unfortunately had a lot to drink and didn’t remember the events at a strip club that we had attended on 01/11.On 01/13 we had a 3.5 hr flight and I was feeling hungover from the weekend. As a result of how I was feeling I was shaking my legs due to the anxiety and that combined with the small aircraft seats I think I may have been compressing my testicles for most of the time of the flight.Symptoms include
Testicular pain, burning to end of urethra and around glans, frequency, and urgency. I was prophylactically prescribed doxycycline for 7 days with an optional 14 days total. After tests came back I completed the 14 day rx and symptoms had already mostly subsided by the time I got my negative results back(01/18). To this day I have had no lesions, prodromal symptoms, fever or discharge. I was tested for urinalysis, urine culture, hepatitis, HIV, HSV, gonorrhea and chylamidia. They were all negative.On 02/04 I had rode a stationary bike for 40 mins( i have been exercising on a bike intermittently over the previous month and a half but almost daily the last 3 weeks.) Later in the afternoon masterbated twice. Following that I began to feel the same symptoms again of urgency, burning, frequency and testicular pain in the area of bilateral epididymi. Today 02/07, the symptoms are still present but subsiding. In addition this occurrence of symptoms was not nearly as severe as the first. I went and had the urinalysis done(negative) and a repeat GC/NG, mycoplasma and urine culture were sent. In addition the doctor treated me with a Zithromax / rocephin.I’m trying to find out if it’s possible that I may have urethral syndrome or some other condition causing the symptoms im having instead of a possible std. Also, im curious if, since i had symptoms when i was tested, if there is some reason that if i had GC,NG or Herpes that all of the testing would be negative. i would assume that if i was symptomatic and it was possible a urethral lesion from HSV that it would test positive for Antibodies on the HSV IgG, and that I wouldnt have had the symptoms reoccur so soon.I thought that possibly the trauma from the flight may have caused my symptoms the first time and the 40 stationary bike ride and masterbation caused the second. I’m kinda freaking out and I don’t think I am far enough out to repeat the HSV serum testing at this time and since ive never had any lesions there was no way to send the HSV culture. Also would I be negative on testing if I was tested and symptomatic?Im sorry that is is such a long message but im so stressed and i wanted to give you the whole story.
Thank you.
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 14 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello...I understand your concern.Epididymitis is the term used when the epididymis gets inflamed. The epididymis is a small structure that sits on top of the testicle. The epididymis stores sperm and moves it along the male reproductive tract. Different infections and conditions can cause epididymitis. In teens and men who are having sex, epididymitis is commonly caused by chlamydia or gonorrhea. These are 2 different infections that people can catch during sex.
Epididymitis can also be caused by other conditions or infections that people don't catch during sex. These things are more likely to cause epididymitis in older men.
Besides pain, epididymitis can also cause, swelling of the scrotum or testicles, redness of the scrotum andprobably fever.
An ultrasound or color doppler of the scrotum is the investigation of choice.
To help the abnormal feeling, you can:
1. Put a cold gel pack, bag of ice, or bag of frozen vegetables on the area every few hours, for 15 minutes each time.
2. Wear a jock strap to support your scrotum.
3. Take an over-the-counter medicine to treat your pain. Over-the-counter medicines include Tylenol or Advil or Aleve.
But I suggest you consult your PCP with this suggestion and get yourself an appropriate antibiotic prescription please.I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you doctor, I have been prescribed antibiotics twice and still have symptoms. Gonorrhea, herpes and Chlamydia tested negactive once and I'm awaiting a second test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia. Another doctor told me that it might be prostatitis? I would think that my symptoms would be worse? I don't have much pain expect with urgency that is relieved almost completely by urinating.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Correction, the symptoms resolved and returned 1.5 weeks later. I then was prescribed azithromycin and was given rocephin IM.
If that is the case then we need to consider the possibilities of -1. Cystitis, inflammation of urinary bladder.
2. Overactive bladder
3. Interstitial nephritisThe diagnosis can be corroborated by an ultrasound abdomen which might show thickening of the urinary bladder wall and if that is the case then further urodynamic studies might be required.Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Doctor. So if my new labs: gonorrhea, Chlamydia and mycoplasma are negative. When should I get another herpes blood test for antibodies? ( I have no lesions to NAA test) my possible exposure was on 01/11 which is 4 weeks ago.

No need to get tested again if herpes is negative after 6weeks of possible exposure please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's just been 4 weeks actually and the first test for IgG was just 4 days after potential exposure.
We need to test for IgM, not IgG.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. I will ask my doctor. To order it for me. I don't believe he knew that I just had the IgG done and not the IgM.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Doctor.

Hi...I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.