Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

If you have pre-existing psoriasis and then you get hiv, how

Hey there
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: If you have pre-existing psoriasis and then you get hiv, how long could you live without treatment of the hiv? I've heard you could die within a year.
JA: What are all your symptoms? Have you talked to a doctor about HIV?
Customer: Well...I had oral sex with my partner who might have recently been infected. He's awaiting results of an RNA test. About 24 hours after we had oral sex, I was congested, had a fever with chills, headache, and just felt fatigued. This was 5 days ago.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about fatigue?
Customer: I haven't. I'm not completely down and out, but I just feel tired.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Other than that I've had psoriasis for years, no.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It is not true that HIV in pre-existing psoriasis will lead to early death within a year. This is false and not accurate. It is true that the management of psoriatic disease in HIV positive individual is challenging. But with use of medications psoriasis can be effectively treated.

Oral sex is a very low-risk activity for transmission of HIV and with a very low risk, it is absolutely more likely that you will not be infected with HIV. HIV will only cause symptoms after 2 weeks of infection and therefore your symptoms are not due to HIV and do not increase the suspicion of HIV. You can safely relax and your present symptoms are due to a very common viral infection such as cold or flu which anyone can get any time and does not indicate anything. Please don't worry about HIV.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions. I would be happy to assist you further if you need any further information. Please use reply to let me know.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your quick response. I guess I'm just worried because I've heard that acute symptoms of HIV can be felt with a few days of infection.
And if it takes up to three months to know for sure whether or not you have HIV, could the disease progress a lot quicker because of my pre-existing psoriasis. I'm just nervous.
You are very welcome!!No, the acute symptoms of HIV only occur after more than a week or two. They will not occur within a few days off infection.The disease will not progress faster because of psoriasis. You can safely relax and expect a negative result when you test for HIV.Thank you!!!