Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My grandmother started having cold symptoms last Friday.

My grandmother started having cold symptoms last Friday. But, it seemed to go away quickly. However, on Saturday, she started complaining of a really bad back pain - it was concentrated under her right shoulder blade and it was hard to move her arms. It was going on for 3 days or so and we started to think it is shingles, but she still doesn't have any rash. The pain would subside a little, while she was sitting down and/or sleeping, but it would be hard for her to get up and walk around. She was taking hydrocodone, but it only helped the pain subside a little and then come back. Yesterday, she started to feel better and was hoping that she is on her way to recovery, but started to feel much worse this morning. she said that the pain moved from shoulder blade to all over the top of her back and sort of chest too. We went to the dr. appt and she had fever of 99. The dr didn't think it was anything serious, said maybe a pinched nerve. But now, she has a fever of 100 and is mostly sleeping, says the pain is not that bad, but the fever is there. She took 2 tables of tylenol, but it doesn't seem to get rid of the fever and she is very sleepy and maybe a bit confused. What could this be? Really worried.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is 90 years old. We took her fever just now and it's 101.7. She took 2 tablets of tylenol about 3 hours ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

sorry about your grandmother.

she need a chest xray or chest CT scan to look for pneumonia or infection in the lungs.

she may need a course of antibiotics.

sometimes bad lung infections can irritate the diaphragm and cause referred shoulder pain

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now she says when she takes a breath, there is bad pain under the rib cage. We are on our way to urgent care, but I want to have some idea of what it could be

she could have a pneumonia or fluid in the lungs or pleural effusion of fluid outside of the lungs possibly

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, why is it that Tylenol doesn't help her with the fever?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is that dangerous?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What you r saying

she may have a pneumonia which may need antibiotics for her fever

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is pleural effusion dangerous?

it can cause shortness of breath and fever and shoulder pain