Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Our new doctor prescribed Mirtazapine for my husband to help

Customer Question

Our new doctor prescribed Mirtazapine for my husband to help him gain weight and sleep. He had been on this drug before for depression, and it made him a zombie, who didn't talk or eat or do anything. It took weeks to wean him off this, and even taking a tiny corner of the pill kept him zombie. I told the doc this yesterday, but he wouldn't listen. What else can I ask him to prescribe mainly for weight gain and then sleep? Thanks!
JA: How long has your husband been taking Mirtazapine? Any recent changes in dosage?
Customer: He was on it for about a few weeks, given by another doctor before we moved, and it was a bad med for him from the beginning. I think the dosage was 15 mg.,
JA: How severe has the depression been?
Customer: That's the thing, he was so much more depressed on it, no personality, he didn't talk, no interaction, nothing. Once he was off it entirely for about a week or more, he started eating, talking, engaging in life. He's not dealing with depression now, just needs something to help him gain weight and sleep.
JA: Anything else in his medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: He's 66, basically healthy, just had labs done with the new doctor and got results yesterday, his cholesterol is just a bit high. Otherwise, ok. Just needs to gain weight.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My husband of 43 years has always been fun and easy-going and ever since being put on this med for mild depression, his personality has changed. My main question is, I want to be more educated before talking to the new doctor here, to get him something for appetite and sleep. What can you suggest?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

medical marijuana can help improve appetite and can help improve sleep.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we are not at a place where we can get this. Is there anything else that's 'natural' that you recommend?

you can try him on CBD oil

you can get CBD oil any place in the country

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks!

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping after Positive Feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com