Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Love I’m having a little trouble. It’s nothing major but, I

Hi dr love
I’m having a little trouble. It’s nothing major but, I haven’t had a canker sore in a while. But I have one on my bot***** *****p. It appeared on sunday and I’ve been using something called Canker Rid on the canker sore. Idk what caused it? I thought it was because I ate peanuts on Friday night but I’ve been going through this breakup so I thought it was from that.
I scared myself last night and saw tongue cancer and mouth cancer stories. I’m scared this won’t go away.
It seems to hurt less today but I put canker rid on top of it so it masks the pain so I can eat.
How long should I expect a canker sore to be in my mouth?
And what could be the cause?
It’s making me so depressed and angry. Im already sad from the breakup.
I was using Pronamel because it was SLS free , but now I’m thinking I need to go back to all natural toothpaste because Pronamel probably had something in it that triggered my canker sore.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want dr love not anyone else
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello???

Hello. I am sorry for the delay, but I was called away from the computer and I will need to leave the compter again in about a half hour.

It is not entirely known what causes canker sores. It is due to inflammation of the lining of the mouth or lips. There are a number of life situations that can precipitate a canker sore, but the most common is general stress on the body, which can either be physical stress (such as from an acute infection) or psychological stress (such as from a break-up).

The duration of a canker sore can be quite variable. The average length of time to complete healing is a week or two, but some are quicker and some are slower. A more severe canker sore may take 4-6 weeks to heal completely.

In most cases, using an over the counter remedy to ease symptoms is fine and it will heal spontaneously. If there is more severe inflammation, then you doctor can prescribe some steroid medicines to ease the inflammation, but this is typically only needed in a very small percentage of canker sores.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I’ve been exercising more and trying to get over my break up but I don’t think the exercise is really helping me and is making me really tired. Maybe I should try to lay down and rest a couple days???
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I’ve heard b12 and L Lysine help prevent and fight canker sores. Is that true?

If you are tired, it is reasonable to rest, but you probably would do better to do both. You certainly need to be getting plenty of rest, but exercise also usually helps.

Vitamin B12 deficiency is one of the possible situations that can precipitate canker sores, and in those people vitamin B12 supplementation can help, but it probably does not help most people.

There is some early research that lysine may help canker sores, but the evidence is not solid that it does so.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was tested at my doctor and she said I had low b12 levels.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She said that most people do well in 400 levels or higher. I forgot what she said how much b12 I should take.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How much b12 should I take anyways ?v
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here it is. She explained it. But the typo with the dosage messed me up

Yes, since your vitamin B12 is on the low side, taking a vitamin B12 supplement is appropriate. Your doctor stated the dose correctly. You need to take the supplement more often initially to build up the level, and then less often later, because vitamin B12 stays in your body for a long time. Take one pill containing 1000 mcg every day for 2 weeks, then one pill containing 1000 mcg once a week for 4 weeks, and then she will recheck the vitamin B12 level.

I have to leave the computer again for 2-3 hours. I will be back later today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But will that help with the canker sore??? To heal ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could I take b complex ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Or just b12?

Since you are not overtly deficient, it cannot be said that vitamin B12 supplementation will definitely help, but it is appropriate to try it to see if it helps.

A B complex supplement usually does not contain this amount of vitamin B12, so you wold typically need to take a dedicated vitamin B12 supplement. It is OK to take a B complex in addition to the vitamin B12, and the smaller amount of vitamin B12 in the B complex will only augment the dedicated vitamin B12 supplement.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if I take b12 1000mcg and then L Lysine how much should I take of that to prevent the sores?

During an active sore, the dose of lysine would be 1000 mg three times per day. Once the sore is gone, the preventive dose is 1000 mg once daily.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hope this helps me
How do I know when the canker is healing?

When it is getting better.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Like the pain decreases?

If it is getting better in any way.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does this look like it’s healing or is it hard to tell from the pic?

It is impossible to tell from a single picture.