How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask trypanosom Your Own Question
trypanosom, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 194
Experience:  Experience in orthopaedics and family Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
trypanosom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cluster of small bumps on the side/underside of the

This answer was rated:

I have a cluster of small bumps on the side/underside of the penis along my circumcision scar, barely visible until the skin is stretched, but you can definitely feel them as a slight rough patch. They have been there a long time, and tend to get irritated from time to time, often after sex/masturbation or excessive sweating. They have not spread, don't ooze, nor hurt or itch. They are generally flesh colored, though can turn red when irritated, and occasionally are whitish, almost like a tiny pinpoint pimple. Just wondering exactly what they are and if I should worry.
It sounds like what you have are called pearly penile papules. This is a normal variant in males. It does not signify any medical condition which requires any treatment. As you have rightly said these do not itch or irritate. The colour may be pearl or white and it appears as a rush of uniform size around the base of the head of the penis but there may be slightly bigger ones at the back of the head of the penis. These could get irritated from friction but settles in a matter of days. Different men notice these bumps at different stages in their lives and this would most likely have been there for a very long time. However if you feel this was entirely new and you had not seen it there before I would advise that you get seen by a medical practitioner who can give you further advice. Please feel free to ask any further questions or clarifications.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi thanks for the response, these are not near the head of the penis, they are on what I understand to be whats left of the inner foreskin after circumcision, located on the inderside of the penis where it lays on the scrotum, about an inch down from the head, right along where the skin bunches when the penis is soft, I tried to include a photo and could certainly attach another if the first was not visible to you. They are not exactly uniform, some are a little larger, but its hard to tell as they are clustered very tightly together. It’s definitely not something new, first time I noticed them would have been around 2004. None of my partners ever had anything similiar, so I dont believe it to be contagious, and they have never spread on my body. My main concern was an HPV related issue, but they dont really look or behave like warts, have done the vinegar test, they dont spread, and they dont change beside occasional inflammation. Again if I could send a photo maybe we could get a better idea of what they are, and if there is anything I can do to remove them.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much for the picture. It appears as if you have dry irritated skin which is something similar to eczema. This could be treated with moisturising cream and you could also try an antifungal cream as there might be an element of a fungal infection. In some cases you may require steroid cream for a few days. It does not appear to me as a sexually transmitted infection. The fact that this has not progressed or spread is very reassuring. My advice would be to start with moisturising cream and also to try an antifungal cream like Clotrimazole or miconazole. If this has not made a difference after about 2 weeks please see a physician or family Doctor who could prescribe a steroid cream or ointment after this. There might be no need to do anything further if this is not giving you any serious symptoms. There are options to be seen by a dermatology doctor if this becomes necessary down the line. I hope you have found this helpful.
Thank you.
trypanosom and 10 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you