Medical

I’ve been getting over a cold for almost two weeks. The

symptoms have been head and...
symptoms have been head and chest congestion. Yesterday at night I noticed that in a spot on my neck it felt sore but on the outside, it hurt to press it felt like pressing a sore or bruised muscle. Now as I wake up I have a sore throat in the same area. I’m very worried this could be a sign of something cancerous. I’m 24 year old male , don’t... Read full answer
I’ve been getting over a cold for almost two weeks. The symptoms have been head and chest congestion. Yesterday at night I noticed that in a spot on my neck it felt sore but on the outside, it hurt to press it felt like pressing a sore or bruised muscle. Now as I wake up I have a sore throat in the same area. I’m very worried this could be a sign of something cancerous. I’m 24 year old male , don’t smoke cigarettes but use marijuana pretty often and have a 3 year on and off history with dipping tobacco. I’ve never experienced this before please help.
I went swimming laps which is what I originally thought the pain was from in my neck as turning has caused similar. But never with a sore throat
12/15/2018
Aaron Branch

Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using JustAnswer. I would not worry about this being cancer, this sounds like a swollen lymph node, and this is not unexpected when you have an upper respiratory infection like what you are describing. The lymph node gets swollen because it is part of your immune system fighting the infection. Once the infection clears, the lymph node should stop hurting within a couple of weeks. Only if it stayed painful or swollen after several weeks would I be concerned, and you may need a biopsy, but I do not suspect this at all in your case.

I hope that helps answer your question, please let me know if you have any other questions about that, I would be glad to help any way I can.

Aaron Branch
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I've had extreme dry throat ness and pain in my swallowing
I've had extreme dry throat ness and pain in my swallowing muscles sore throat for almost 7 weeks nothing seems to help I've took steroids and they've helped slightly but I feel when I finish this and… read more
DAGO
DAGO
MD,
I've had sore throat for almost 2 months. Now. And. Had
I've had sore throat for almost 2 months. Now . And. Had trouble swallowing but that kind of got better but I still have a sore throat and clicking sound and feeling in middle of throat when swallowin… read more
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Consultant Physician,
Post graduation (Liverpool, U.K.)
I woke up this morning with a really really sore throat a
I woke up this morning with a really really sore throat a bit of nausea and my entire body aches. I'm not congested and I don't have a runny nose. I don't know what it is that I have. … read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
Stop searching for answers—
This is a really stupid question and I'm aware of that, but
Hey doc this is a really stupid question and I'm aware of that, but I'm really freaked out. I'm a huge stoner & I smoke almost constantly. You should know this as well as the fact that I am a current … read more
Amanda Cooke
Amanda Cooke
Medical Doctor; Internal Medicine,
For the past day or two my throat has been a little sore and
For the past day or two my throat has been a little sore and I've been coughing not coughing bad though. I don't know how to really explain this but maybe you'll know what I'm talking about. Where you… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I have strept I went to the doc and got antibiotics
I have strept I went to the doc and got antibiotics yesterday and I've just been resting. A ton of saliva and clear phlegm has been building up in the back of my throat causing me to cough a lot. Is t… read more
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I've been getting over a cold for almost two weeks. The
I've been getting over a cold for almost two weeks. The symptoms have been head and chest congestion. Yesterday at night I noticed that in a spot on my neck it felt sore but on the outside, it hurt to… read more
Doctor,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Staff Physician,
Richard Han
Richard Han
Pediatrician,
I've been sick for about a week. It's been a really bad
Hi so I've been sick for about a week. It's been a really bad cough chest congestion and then a lot of head congestion and a stuffy nose. I've been taking otc mucinex during the day and NyQuil at nigh… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
I have a bad sore throat, but it is only really felt on the
second opinion] I have a bad sore throat, but it is only really felt on the left side. Felt mostly when swallowing or yawning or opening my mouth wide. I feel some general discomfort almost going to m… read more
Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen
Neurologist, Cognitive/Dementia Expert,
DocNid
DocNid
Stop searching for answers—
Very sore throat but only on my left side. It has been about
Very sore throat but only on my left side. It has been about 3 to 4 days now and it's really been bothering me. It hurts to swallow and yawn and open my mouth wide. I have been taking a lot of Tylenol… read more
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
FCPS (R) General Surgery,
M.B.,B.S. FCPS
I have a bad sore throat, but it is only really felt on the left side. Felt mostly when swallowing or yawning or opening my mouth wide. I feel some general discomfort almost going to my ear. Many peop… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
I'm 43 years old and have been on Adderall off and on for
I'm 43 years old and have been on Adderall off and on for roughly 15 years. My PCP has stopped prescribing it due to her medical groups new rules. I've been to 3 psychiatrists offices and nobody wants… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
My throat feels like it's bruised. But like the outside.
But like the outside. Like I can swallow just fine. But if I touch my throat/neck area or try to massage it - the pain is similar to a bruise or sore muscles … read more
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim
Doctor of Medicine
I am having an endoscopy tomorrow. The doctor didn't say
I am having an endoscopy tomorrow. The doctor didn't say anything about marijuana use, but was told to stop drinking 24 hours before and not to eat or smoke cigarettes the midnight before. I hadn't re… read more
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Fellowship in Medicine