Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Continuing nose bleed for several hours. Cannot get it to…

Customer Question
Continuing nose bleed for...

Continuing nose bleed for several hours. Cannot get it to stop.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the nosebleed? Have you used any medication for it?

Several hours. No medication

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the nosebleed?

No. Just lying in prone position

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am 75. Live in Denver, dry here, but do not have history of this. Alot of blood came out of both nose and mouth.

Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: Medical
8/5/2018
Doctor: Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD replied 13 days ago
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** board certified MD.

I am sorry you are having this symptom.

Are you on any blood thinners - warfarin/ coumadin, aspirin, plavix?

Sometimes dry air/ humidity can certainly predispose you to a nose bleed. Is this the first time this has happened?
Are you feeling dizzy, lighteaded?

I will await your response. You can disregard any phone call requests as this is automatically generated by the website. Thanks.

If you have tried applying constant pressure to the nose and there is still bleeding, I recommend that you try an over-the-counter decongestant nasal spray such as Afrin (generic name is oxymetazoline).

You put two squirts of the Afrin up the nostril and then hold pressure for 15 minutes. When you hold pressure, it has to be constant. Don't let go.

If there is still bleeding after 15 minutes, you can try again --two more squirts, then hold pressure. Do it again, two more squirts, hold pressure. If after three times of this you're still having bleeding then you may need to go the ER get a packing up your nose to stop it from bleeding.

In some cases, an ENT may be called in emergently to cauterize a bleeding blood vessel if this is the cause of the bleeding.

If you are having dizziness/ lightheadedness/ chest pain at any time during any of this, then please go to the ER.

I am available for any follow up questions that you may have so please feel free to ask.

If you were satisfied with my response, please consider giving me a 5 star rating as we work for stars. Thank you so much and I wish you all the best.