Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is sleep a problem with most people who have fibromyalgia?

Is sleep a problem...

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had Fibromyalgia? Have you used any medication for it?

Forty nine years. Only sleep meds of which I have become allergic to six.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the allergy?

Yes I see an allergist and have taken allergy shots for three years.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have asthma, arthritis, bursitis herniated disc and osteoporosis besides other typical old age problems.

7/12/2018
Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** board certified MD.

Yes, unfortunately, sleep problems is very common in people with fibromyalgia. In fact, insomnia is considered a core feature of fibromyalgia. More than 75% of people with fibromyalgia have problems with sleep. Some medications for fibromyalgia such as Lyrica work in part by improving deep sleep.
If sleep is an issue, it is important to rule out conditions such as sleep apnea and restless legs syndrome -- because these conditions are common in patients with fibromyalgia too -- and treated the conditions help with both sleep and chronic pain.

I am available to answer any follow up questions that you may have so please feel free to ask.

If you were satisfied with my response, please consider giving me a 5 star rating as we work for stars. Thank you so much.

Dr. Nina Lim
Dr. Nina Lim, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 4 days ago
I do have sleep apnea (forgot to mention that) and have a call machine. Doesn't help the sleep problem .. become allergic to Lunesta Ambien Doreen melatonin lorazepam and now doxapam

Have you been tried on Lyrica? This is an FDA approved medication for fibromyalgia that works in part by improving deep sleep.

Another option is Nortriptyline - which targets both the pain and insomnia of fibromyalgia.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
No but I've tried Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline (with bad results) I'm now coming off Doxipin because of heart palpitations. see my doctor next week. May try Lyrica.

Yes, it is worth discussing this medication with your doctor. It's a trial and error with these medications sometimes, because you never know if you will have side effects on them, until you actually start taking them.

Customer reply replied 4 days ago
Thank you!

You're so very welcome. I hope you finally find the answer that will help you sleep better.