Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Typically, I every day but it's been 3 days and nothing is…

Customer Question
Typically, I defecate every...

Typically, I defecate every day but it's been 3 days and nothing is coming through. I use Carafate twice a day and eat lots of vegetables. What should I do next?

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

No symptoms except lack of movement. Yes, I've used Carafate and Miralax.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this?

Not recently.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I usually go every day, take Miralax twice a day, and the movements come through easily.

Submitted: 9 days ago.Category: Medical
7/11/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 9 days ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Alright, if you do not have any other symptoms like abdominal pain, abdominal distention with tenderness, nausea or vomiting and you are already on a high fiber diet with Miralax and Sucralfate, then the next step is to use glycerine suppositories. I will suggest that you use one glycerine suppository for now and use the next one after 12 to 18 hours if there is no relief with the first one. It typically takes 15 to 20 minutes for the suppository to initiate a bowel movement. These suppositories are over the counter products and can be found at all pharmacies.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 6 days ago
What you suggested worked for the timebeing but a few days later, I have the same problem. What will work consistently so I don’t have to keep using a laxative?
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 6 days ago

For an effective long-term remedy it will be best to go and see a Gastroenterologist who can identify the cause and treat it.